What's new

Looking for help with choosing a NAS for a photographer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gwenhyfar

New Around Here
Hey all. I'm looking into buying a NAS for my mother's photographs, and am finding that I'm not really the best person to be doing this for her. However, she is paying me to look into this for her, so I thought I'd ask around on forums for some advice. I've found a few NAS systems that seem to fit her requirements and would like to hear some informed opinions on why they may or may not work for her needs.

My mom is a serious hobbyist of a photographer, with over 3TB of digital photos that she wants to put onto a NAS. For her, data redundancy and safety is paramount above all else. These photos are probably the most important physical (or digital) thing she has, and she wants them to be safe come hell or high water. Money is generally not a concern (to a point ie a few thousand dollars is a little excessive), but she wants her data to be safe. She also wants to be able to expand her data storage in the future, so I've been thinking a 4-bay system would be the best place to start, but I don't know which 4-bay system is best. She wants to plug and forget, to not have to remember to back up every day/week, for it to just happen in the background.

I've been reading stuff from Span.com mostly and a few other review sites, but frankly, I'm a software person more than a hardware person so I really don't understand a lot of what these sites are saying. If anyone could assist me in choosing a system, that would be much appreciated! If you need more info to help me, I'd be happy to provide it!

Thank you very much!

Gwen

My mom is a serious hobbyist of a photographer, with over 3TB of digital photos that she wants to put onto a NAS. For her, data redundancy and safety is paramount above all else. These photos are probably the most important physical (or digital) thing she has, and she wants them to be safe come hell or high water.

Lot's of good choices out there.

Don't forget to have some plan to back up that NAS - lot of sad stories here where folks did back up desktops and files to a NAS, only to have something go wrong at the NAS itself.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!