What's new

Looking for highly reliable wireless router for parents.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

digitalfreak

Occasional Visitor
I currently have a Netgear R7000 setup for my parents, but it's started having problems that require frequent rebooting. Since they live 5 hours away and are in their 70s, I'd like to get something much more reliable.

Minimum requirements:
802.11ac (don't need mesh or anything fancy, it's a small house)
4 gigabit switch ports + 1 gigabit WAN port (Rokus and the PC are wired)
Ability to do a guest wireless network
Built in VPN server. Only needed so I can VPN in to their network to diagnose problems.
Fully manageable via web browser, meaning it can't require an app to get to all the configuration stuff.
It must have rock solid reliability, as it's getting harder to walk my parents through troubleshooting.

Price isn't really an issue. I'd rather spend $300 on something that's reliable than $150 for something that isn't. If that means going with enterprise class gear, so be it.

Not looking like a spider on its back would be a plus, but not required. :D

I currently have a Netgear R7000 setup for my parents, but it's started having problems that require frequent rebooting. Since they live 5 hours away and are in their 70s, I'd like to get something much more reliable.

Minimum requirements:
802.11ac (don't need mesh or anything fancy, it's a small house)
4 gigabit switch ports + 1 gigabit WAN port (Rokus and the PC are wired)
Ability to do a guest wireless network
Built in VPN server. Only needed so I can VPN in to their network to diagnose problems.
Fully manageable via web browser, meaning it can't require an app to get to all the configuration stuff.
It must have rock solid reliability, as it's getting harder to walk my parents through troubleshooting.

Price isn't really an issue. I'd rather spend $300 on something that's reliable than $150 for something that isn't. If that means going with enterprise class gear, so be it.

Not looking like a spider on its back would be a plus, but not required. :D

ASUS AC2900 Dual-band Gaming Router, Mesh Wi-Fi support - Newegg.com $153

Hardware encryption for strong VPN performance. Asus DDNS for remote access. Will serve strong WLANs and guest WLANs to house and yard. Recommend you setup with current Asuswrt firmware 41634, but install next release to arrive soon before delivering to their home.

My install notes outline a basic configuration. Add and test your VPN and DDNS bits.

OE

The RT-AC86U or the RT-AX58U are both good candidates today for your stated requirements. The 'AC86U will give you OpenVPN speeds up to or greater than 200Mbps vs. around 70Mbps on the 'AX58U. Both, depending on your ISP speeds and your parents too (both, up/down, of course). Otherwise, I would be choosing the one with the lower cost, today. But note that the RT-AX58U with RMerlin firmware (386.1 Beta 4) is worth a few more dollars if the VPN speeds don't matter to you (and it doesn't seem they should).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!