What's new

Looking for ideas to easily add network cables in future

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wesley Chapman

Occasional Visitor
My computer room is located in an addition that was added to our house. The addition was built by framing in an existing covered patio so the elevation is about 12" lower than the house.
To get network cable from the computer room to the rest of the house I bored a hole through the lower part of the computer room wall which goes through to the underneath of the house. The computer room has 3 doors leading to other rooms so I had to route the cables from the house to the router by running over a door on the exterior of the wall. Works fine, looks like crap.
Due to a failing roof and water leaks the addition will have to be gutted so now I have the opportunity to install a cable management system inside the wall.
What to use though? I thought about 3" PVC pipe down the wall under the floor out to the underneath of the house. My wife pointed out that would be a spider and mouse super highway into the house.
I don't know how many cable I'll eventually pull but I've noticed cables are like rabbits in their multiplication.
Thoughts?

Google "Smurf Tube". Its a blue flexible conduit for running wires.

Google "Smurf Tube". Its a blue flexible conduit for running wires.
Unless you require home runs back into the house for each device, use 1.5 inch smooth bore poly conduit between the walls. leave a pull cord in with the cables. Then use a switch or router to distribute within the room. Pull at least two Cat 5E or 6 cables through the wall. One to use, one for backup. You don't have to terminate the backup. Just coil it up in the wall box.

Seal the all internal wall penetrations with firestop intumescent foam, particularly if you pass through firestop blocks in the wall or floor/ceiling wall plate. Check if your local code allows using poly for low voltage cable conduit or if you are required to use metal conduit.

Smurf tube looks like a clean install for the cabling under the house where there may only be one or two wires per conduit. I might someday upgrade to that for my under house runs. Right now the cables are wire tied to cross braces under the house.
What I need is a way to bring the cables from under the house into the computer room and have room for future expansion. The computer room is in an addition that is a lower elevation than the main house. When I gut the addition rooms and pull up the flooring I will have access to hide some sort of cable though way from under the house to the wall where the computer stuff is. I only have to run about 5' horizontal and I do want to come up the interior wall a couple feet.
Right now I have a box with a 6 port plate in the wall of the house but to get to the switch I have to run the cable up and across the door.
The outlet in this picture is below the sub floor of the main house and comes through the foundation skirting.
The smurf tube wouldn't be big enough for 5+ cables and no, I don't know how many cables I will want in the future. :)
IMG_1772.JPG

IMG_1773.JPG

I had thought about moving the networky stuff to the wall where the cables come through but there's no power on that wall. :(

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!