What's new

Looking for Linux Support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Larry Ciotti

New Around Here
I’m in the process of replacing my older Asus RT-N66U router with a newer Wi-Fi 6 router running with my Linux workstation. This router has giving me wonderful service over the years.

It seems most of the newer Wi-Fi 6 routers coming from Asus do not support the Linux OS (AX-88U/RT-AX3000), while other manufactures such as Netgear and TP-Archer do?

Should I be concerned Asus does not list Linux as a supporting OS, as I might not be able to update the firmware?

Thank you

I do not see a router needing support from an OS? All the OS needs is the necessary drivers (which you should have anyway).

I wouldn't be concerned about this, now. But make sure to fully test this before the return period has passed. :)

Linux is not a problem as everything can (and usually is) done through the web interface. There are a couple of recovery utilities that are Windows-only, but they're not essential.

You don't need any drivers.

@ColinTaylor, thanks for confirming.

By 'drivers', I meant any wireless drivers the Linux computer may need/use. :)

@ColinTaylor, sure, you're correct. And in hindsight, my comments seem wrong.

But I was initially guessing as I don't run a Linux computer myself and wanted to cover all the bases. :)

Thank you for all your valuable feedback!

So please excuse me, as I don’t understand all the router specs and lettering/numbering (AX AU 802.11x etc.). I’m an old mainframe guy, give me an IBM mainframe, and I’ll make it sing with any OS you want and any device you’d like to attach. Read all those cryptic IBM manuals with ease. But this, please give me more time.

I’d like to replace my RT-N66U with another Asus (I have absolutely no problems with this router), but not a given. I want to be ready for Wi Fi-6 and want something faster. I have as ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit Cable Modem with a a 1 Gig speed plan with my ISP. I know my router is the weakest link.

What is confusing to me are the specs for my router. It show the 802.11n data rate up to 450 Mbps, while most of the other routers have a maximum of 300-400 Mbps at 2.4 GHz (I think).

I’m running 2 HD TV’s (1-4k, 1-8k and watch only 1 at a time), Home Security, Aquarium Lights, Laptops, iPhones and appliances to name a few. The only issue I have is watching HD TV (very little buffering). Granted, I’m not viewing the full potential of my TV’s. All this contained in a 1400 sq ft. condo with 2 floors and no cement walls/floors.

I’m totally confused, and would appreciate any/all advice. I’ve looked at the RT-AX88U, RT-AX92U, RT-AX3000 and various Netgear Nighthawk models (AX12 etc) and read about the new and upcoming Asus RT-AX86U (even though I don't do gaming). I just can’t decide. I would rather skip the AiMesh models, as my current router works fine in the middle of my condo on the first floor. Price is not an issue.

Thanks again!

All of Asus' current routers IIRC "support" AiMesh, that doesn't mean you have to use it. With only one router that would be impossible anyway ;).

Also, I wouldn't pay any sort of premium just because it's an "ax" router. See Tim's articles on the main site, but you're unlikely to see any real-world benefits over an "ac" class router. Especially as you say your current router covers your condo.

With your current usage a gigabit download speed is total overkill (although very nice to have).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!