What's new

Looking for media server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

N49ATV

New Around Here
Well, im looking at media NAS setups. Most prebuilt seem pretty pricy for what you get. So im looking at doing my own, and trying to learn OS setups.

I dont know the hardware I will actually need HP wise, but thats why im here. Ill post my goals, and what hardware I was thinking of.

Id like a media server. I am currently over half full on my WD Mybook Live 3tb nas. I still have a lot of BD ISOs to rip, and then all the DVD ISOs. Also I may need to re-encode kids films for ATV3 (as I dont expect a jailbreak). Id expect to need 6-7TB just for current movies in ISO form. Then possible re-encoded for ATV of all sons shows. Music is pretty minute.

Ill be going to whole house A/V on my next home (in the market, most likely a custom build). I will have whole house video via most likely a HDAnywhere Multiroom+. I currently own 1 HDi Dune D1, and plan on a 2nd (hence the ISOs). I will also have iTunes and automation software on a mac mini (id imagine). So the mac could access the NAS for storage.

Id like to be able to stream 2 BD at once, so about 100mb/s. I also may need enough CPU to transcode on the fly, if I want to stream to different boxes/TVs if ISO isnt available. Though im not sure i really need this. I will most likely leave my 3TB WD MBL as a business backup for my accountant etc, to grab invoices etc from.

Here is what I was looking at. As I priced out different synology's etc, I found for thier cost, I could build a much more powerful machine, that will have more power draw (tough to match the idle watts of these units), but nothing crazy like leaving my current PC running 24/7 for itunes. Also there is no set budget, but I dont know what I need, so components and budgets can change.

Case: Not sure, I was looking at...
Fractal Design Define R4. Clean look, decent cooling, and room for 10 3.5 HDD, and some SSDs.

Also considering something in a 4U, just for future expansion, maybe 16-24 bay. I may have access to a rack, which I could put my Dunes in, my multiroom+ etc in.

Motherboard: Tyan S5512
Looking at this board for a few reasons. ECC, onboard video chipset, dual intel NIC, and onboard LSI2008 SAS controller, with 8 SAS ports, +6 SATA
Tyan Product page

Ram: Kingston ECC 1x8GB DDR3-1333
This isnt necessarily the ram, but something similar. DDR3-1333, ECC, Registered. Easy to add 3 more sticks for 32GB.

CPU: Xeon 1230 v2
Quad Core, HT, ECC, 69W. Was looking at this over the 1220 for HT. Could also swap out for a i3 2100 series, and support ECC if the CPU power isnt really needed, and save a bit of cash.

Cooler: Hyper 212+
Should keep it a bit quieter then OEM HS+F, and its cheap

PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650
Might be a bit big, but should be able to give me room to expand.

HDD: WD Red 3tb
NAS drives, if they arent DOA, it seems they are lasting well. Not that Ill have business server level demands. But I have seen a lot of complaints about green drives.

What do you think? Obviously, it may be complete overkill. I really have never dabbled in the server world. Only desktop PC building. I was thinking of running NAS4Free, or FreeBSD off a USB stick. I like the idea of ZFS ECC, though dislike how I cant just stick in a few more drives, and expand. Id have to create new pools, or back it all up, and re setup server. I

Im completely open to suggestions, a completely different build, just figured I could get a lot more machine for my money, then say a synology 8bay. As the hardware (not including 4U, just if I use R4), is the same price, or a little less then an 8bay Synology, and should have more data throughput over network, as I have seen reports of low speeds from box NAS.

Still reading about ZFS, and learning. Though its a memory hog, throwing 32GB in wont be an issue, though it seems SSD Caching is much better. Either way is an option if needed.

You are going to find the transcoding video on the fly requirement the toughest to meet. There are no out-of-box or even open-source solutions I know of that do this.

Yes, ZFS is a memory hog and will result in lower throughput. Fortunately, you don't need much CPU power to stream two uncompressed blu-ray streams. 100 Mbps is 12.5 MB/s, which even your WD Mybook Live could probably do, assuming it wasn't running a UPnP/DLNA index at the same time.

And what are you planning for back up?

No, I need 100MB/s. as I hit 35-50MB/s on a single.

I don't plan on much of a backup. I was just gonna do raid. I know it's not a backup, but I have the discs to re-rip. It's just a time thing. It's a lot to rip that many BDs. I was thinking zfs raid, and using ECC, so shouldn't be an issue

So if some form of jukebox cant transcode on the fly to mp4, and trick itunes, ill need to run a second copy of a lot of movies (kid friendly) in mp4 format, obviously smaller.

So is a xeon needed or wanted? Would I be better going with a i3 2120, or T series? I will still get ECC from what I gather.

No, I need 100MB/s. as I hit 35-50MB/s on a single.
You may have your bits and Bytes mixed. http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=3338

I don't plan on much of a backup. I was just gonna do raid. I know it's not a backup, but I have the discs to re-rip. It's just a time thing. It's a lot to rip that many BDs. I was thinking zfs raid, and using ECC, so shouldn't be an issue
RAID, ZFS, ECC won't save you from fire, theft or controller failure. None of these is a substitute for backup.

Yes, it appears I have. Musta just read it wrong. Also did some math to back it up. Rio is 1:36 long, and 26000MB. Turns out its 4MB/s for Rio (was easy to use for example calculation, as the main movie is 1 m2ts)

So i guess my question is, should I build this big of a server, or just buy something else, and swap cases? Or downgrade to an i3? Or consider something completely different.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!