Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Looking for network hardware options. Spend my money plz...

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by kryptto, Nov 14, 2017.

1. kryptto

kryptto Occasional Visitor

Have to update my Asus router network. If you were to go out to Asus and look to put together a main wireless router and a media bridged router or Asus bridge, what two devices would you buy with the best bridge performance?

I have network devices without wireless in my main TV media center. Some require network video streaming etc.

What devices would provide a 3200 Sq foot home great media performance using Merlin's firmware for the stability etc features.

Thanks for your suggestion, when I look at this I am confused how to pair up devices that are provide excellent throughput. - Kryptto

2. heysoundude

heysoundude Regular Contributor

A wireless bridge slows the whole network down. Run cat5 Ethernet cable between the main router and AP. YouTube has plenty of videos that can walk you through setting this up.
    As far as wifi coverage, you’d have to experiment to find what works best - 3200sqft is pretty non-specific. Is it 1600sqft on 2 levels? Is it 40x80? Remember the transmitters are theoretically “point sources” and the wifi radio waves travel “spherically”

3. Adamm

Adamm Very Senior Member

Heres a pretty good rundown from RMerlin on what device to buy.

4. Vexira

Vexira Very Senior Member

i wish the GT-AC5300 was priced more reasonably, then maybe I could actually get one my self.

5. azdps

azdps Occasional Visitor

I would consider that the RT-AC86U is also the first ASUS router to use the Linux 4 kernel instead of the older Linux 2.6 kernel that's been used for several years now. I suspect you will end up with much longer term router support than anything else previously released by ASUS that's using the 2.6 kernel. I would probably buy 2 of these since they are reasonably priced. But I can't say for sure they would give you the best bridge performance. Just a thought.