What's new

Looking for network hardware options. Spend my money plz...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kryptto

Regular Contributor
Have to update my Asus router network. If you were to go out to Asus and look to put together a main wireless router and a media bridged router or Asus bridge, what two devices would you buy with the best bridge performance?

I have network devices without wireless in my main TV media center. Some require network video streaming etc.

What devices would provide a 3200 Sq foot home great media performance using Merlin's firmware for the stability etc features.

Thanks for your suggestion, when I look at this I am confused how to pair up devices that are provide excellent throughput. - Kryptto

A wireless bridge slows the whole network down. Run cat5 Ethernet cable between the main router and AP. YouTube has plenty of videos that can walk you through setting this up.
As far as wifi coverage, you’d have to experiment to find what works best - 3200sqft is pretty non-specific. Is it 1600sqft on 2 levels? Is it 40x80? Remember the transmitters are theoretically “point sources” and the wifi radio waves travel “spherically”

Heres a pretty good rundown from RMerlin on what device to buy.

My general recommendation for the Asus product line is something like this.

El cheapo, so dad can go on Facebook: RT-N300 (former RT-N12)
Good performance/price: RT-AC66U_B1 and RT-AC68U
High-end: RT-AC86U
Tri-band (if you really need it): RT-AC5300

I dismiss the RT-AC88U/RT-AC3100 now that the RT-AC86U is on the market, as they are slightly more expensive. I dismiss the GT-AC5300 because its price is way too high, and so far firmware updates are rather infrequent despite the current issues still affecting that model.

i wish the GT-AC5300 was priced more reasonably, then maybe I could actually get one my self.

I would consider that the RT-AC86U is also the first ASUS router to use the Linux 4 kernel instead of the older Linux 2.6 kernel that's been used for several years now. I suspect you will end up with much longer term router support than anything else previously released by ASUS that's using the 2.6 kernel. I would probably buy 2 of these since they are reasonably priced. But I can't say for sure they would give you the best bridge performance. Just a thought.

A wireless bridge slows the whole network down. Run cat5 Ethernet cable between the main router and AP. YouTube has plenty of videos that can walk you through setting this up.
As far as wifi coverage, you’d have to experiment to find what works best - 3200sqft is pretty non-specific. Is it 1600sqft on 2 levels? Is it 40x80? Remember the transmitters are theoretically “point sources” and the wifi radio waves travel “spherically”

heysounddude, Thanks for your reply and everyone elses as well! I saw Merlin posted that ASUS is rolling out the latest firmware that will support a MESH network and that seems very interesting IF they will support the older models like their "ad" suggests to repeat the signal.

As far as slowing the network down, I have a AC2400 and a N66, the N66 is running bridged, is this slowing ALL N/B/G/AC down or just the 2.4 range?

As I understand it, the whole network, meaning both wired and wireless clients: With the radio link prioritized, router functions fall by the wayside to the best of my knowledge. That's why I think it best to have an AP wired to your router. There are no doubt dissenters, and obviously experts who know better, but I've tried it both ways and having the secondary router as a wired AP always seems fastest/smoothest for all devices. YMMV.

Merlin's de-bagging of the asus meshnet cat is exciting. I'd like a peek into what they have planned/how it works. what would be awesome is if you could build a mesh sharing WAN access with in-range asus products running the correct firmware. the speed could be awesome...

I would consider that the RT-AC86U is also the first ASUS router to use the Linux 4 kernel ... .
May, 2018 is the end-of-days for Linux 4.1 kernel, and thus the new RT-AC86U ?
https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

My RT-AC68U is very weary, but still some fight left in her. I'm holding out to the very end with my RT-AC68U and 380.x Asuswrt-Merlin.

https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

My RT-AC68U is very weary, but still some fight left in her. I'm holding out to the very end with my RT-AC68U and 380.x Asuswrt-Merlin.
I think that is on the shortlist for AM382...the end may be farther than you think!

**** CORRECTION: THERE IS A VERSION OF 382.1 AVAILABLE FOR YOUR 68U!!!

Last edited:

That date can still change. A few months ago, it was scheduled for EOL in September 2017.

And at this point, Broadcom/Asus aren't even up-to-date yet. What good is a LTS kernel if upstream can' t be bothered with keeping it up-to-date...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online