What's new

Looking for one with specific QoS functionality

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nixon

New Around Here
Are there any new wireless routers that handle QoS without requiring a max bandwidth to be set? Meaning you could set a local IP to have a higher priority over the rest without having to set some max download/upload.

Any input on this is appreciated. I haven't owned enough of the newer wireless routers to know all of their OS's and QoS setups so I'm looking for any guidance on what to look for and where to narrow my search for this kind of functionality, if it exists of course.

Are there any new wireless routers that handle QoS without requiring a max bandwidth to be set? Meaning you could set a local IP to have a higher priority over the rest without having to set some max download/upload.

Any input on this is appreciated. I haven't owned enough of the newer wireless routers to know all of their OS's and QoS setups so I'm looking for any guidance on what to look for and where to narrow my search for this kind of functionality, if it exists of course.

If you are willing to go into command line . . .
Ubiquiti has a wired only router that does this.

Otherwise, I have not seen anything like this in the consumer space as of yet.

Any product with IP-based prioritization capability should be able to handle what you're looking to do. Moderate to advanced-level networking knowledge will be a pre-requisite, though. An EdgeRouter is definitely one option. You might always want to take a look at MikroTik routerboard models -- the Queues part of RouterOS is probably more than adequate (here's a linkto some best practices). Also, ZyXel's ZLD OS offers bandwidth management ("BWM") based on source/destination IP -- I've used it successfully in several deployments. A USG20 can be had for <$150, or the newer USG40 for ~$250.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!