What's new

Looking for OS X FTP clients that's usable by a blind user

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Howdy folks,

I have a blind customer who needs remote access to his office NAS during quarantine. Synology's web interface is unusable for blind people, and TeamViewer to his work PC doesn't work properly either with his screen reader. I am considering going FTP for him.

Going with TunnelBlick is not really an option either, due to accessibility limitations in the client.

Anyone knows of an OS X FTP client that's free and also works well with screen readers?

Thanks. I got multiple recommendations for Cyberduck, and was also suggested Forklift 3. I sent these two to my customers who will test them out tonight, I will be doing a follow-up with him tomorrow morning.

Could also try filezilla, that’s free too, don’t know if it is blind friendly but it works better than transmit is my experience

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Filezilla is most likely not a native OS X app, so I suspected it wouldn't integrate cleanly with the screen reader. That's why I looked for recomendations about clients known to be native or to integrate well with the screen reader - Cyberduck got multiple recommendations.

The customer is happy with Cyberduck so far. He only asked me for help once, as the connection seemed to have disappeared from his client (I suspect it wasn't added to the address book, so it forgot it when he rebooted his Mac a few days later). We re-added it together, and I made sure it would appear in the address book.

It's native for (or used to be...) Linux, OS X & Windows. It's past accessibility issues seem to have been fixed. If Cyberduck works, then Cyberduck by all means. If your customer ever needs a client to use from an iOS / iPadOS device, I highly recommend https://www.skyjos.com/fileexplorer/index.html . I am impressed (as a sighted person) by its functionality and understand that it is fully accessible for the blind. There's a screenshot from it's insides.

93559A7B-7B2A-464C-AA6C-0F54E1E5171B.jpeg

Last edited:
If your customer ever needs a client to use from an iOS / iPadOS device

He was asking for Mac software - if he wanted to know about iPhone/iPad, that would have been part of his query...

Filezilla is most likely not a native OS X app, so I suspected it wouldn't integrate cleanly with the screen reader. That's why I looked for recomendations about clients known to be native or to integrate well with the screen reader - Cyberduck got multiple recommendations.

it is not... I couldn't imagine trying to help someone configure it over the phone - tried and failed once with one of our manufacturing engineers over in Taiwan (screw it, go download WinSCP, which did work) - very powerful, lots of flexible options, not much hand-holding, one has to _know_ what/how to do things - very much a product of it's age...

you know, Cyberduck is available for Windows, and includes FileManager integration...

Donation-ware, and worth every penny...

That thread is more than stale. Confinement ended long ago, and this customer is back at the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!