What's new

Looking for other router/AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bose321

New Around Here
I've bought a D-Link DIR 868L last weekend to improve the Wi-Fi at home. The main problem was that the default router from my ISP has a lousy range and doesn't pass through the signal to the attic. I believe it's a Cisco EPC3925.

Anyway, after some investigating I bought myself a new router. I've lurked around this site for the results, and they looked good. I don't have any clients that can use the AC technology, so I understand I wouldn't really get any mind-blowing speeds.

This router however, is not really what I expected. I paid a lot (IMO) for a router and the range is still poor. When I put the 868L downstairs the signal is pretty much gone at the attic. When near to it I get like 40+mbsp on my phone via 2,4GHz. I know this isn't really a good way to test it, but it's what it's mainly used for. One floor up I got like 25-30mbps, while at the attic with luck around 10mbps with a weak signal.

I used to have an Asus WL500 (I believe), but that died a few months ago. That router used to have excellent range at decent speeds across the entire home. I placed it on the first floor and disabled the Wi-Fi of the ISP router. That used to work great.

With the 868L however, I need to keep the ISP Wi-Fi enabled as well. I have now placed it on the first floor, just like how I used to have the Asus router. The speeds at the attic are now a bit better (around 20mbsp) and 40mbps-ish at the first floor. The funny thing is that the default router from my ISP seems to give better speeds when I'm downstairs, compared to the expensive 868L on the first floor.

The walls and ceilings here are concrete, so I know that's an issue, but is this really what's normal?

I have the feeling that a cheaper router, or even an AP could do the same or better for less money.

I was looking at the Asus RT N66U and that seems to score better range-wise if I'm right? I think it would be a nice successor to my WL500.

On the other hand an actual AP might also work. I only need Wi-Fi, so all the fancy features routers have these days are not needed. I've got a dedicated server running at home for files, downloading and whatever you can imagine.

Could you guys help me out to pick something that will improve my Wi-Fi at home? Because not all devices here are capable of 5GHz, 2,4GHz is still important for me.

PS: I live in the Netherlands, so it would be great if you could select products that are not US-only or something.

Excuse me if this is the wrong place to ask. I am quite new in the wireless world. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!