What's new

Looking for recommendations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Scotts1986

New Around Here
I currently have an Asus 87R router and have been very happy with it so far. I have had this router for around 2 years and have recently moved into a new home that I am renting with a basement. The house is old built in 1920 and is 1,130 square feet. The wife wants all of my media equipment out of site so I have it all setup in the basement. The problem is there isn't cable in the basement to run the modem (SB 6183) and router so I have it setup upstairs. My previous home everything was hardwired so I was thinking about what I can do in this basement. I have decent signal but was thinking it could be better and have been debating what route I should take. Should I just get another Asus 87R router around ($166.00) and set it up in bridge mode and then use those ethernet ports or should I use the money I would spend on the Asus router and look into something else like Google Wifi, Orbi, Ubiquiti? I almost pulled the trigger on a Google Wifi 3 pack but just not sure if that would be any better than what I currently have. I generally have about 15 devices connected up to around 30. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I ended up ordering 2 AmpliFi HD Home Wi-Fi Routers (AFI-R) and will have the main unit in the living room and run the one in the basement in bridge mode and see how that does. According to the rep I spoke with I will be able to connect my devices in the basement with a LAN cable and with these routers in bridge mode there isn't very much signal loss with these.

We will miss you in the Asus forum... :rolleyes:

Let us know if the new kind in the block keeps his promise: Magic Mesh to give you what you looking for... :D

Instead you chose to bash my decision to try another product besides Asus...
You got it wrong: I just commented your decision with a joke - which obviously did not work for you. Sorry. :(

30 devices isnt much. When you need 100 devices connected to the same AP thats when you really gotta look. Currently i've seen reports of the netgear r7000 and mikrotik being capable of handling more than 100 clients on a single AP.

Every AP will do fine if the wifi chip is handling everything up to 32 devices at least with a few restrictions. However some consumer routers and some ubiquiti wifi APs have trouble handling more than 15 devices.

30 devices isnt much. When you need 100 devices connected to the same AP thats when you really gotta look. Currently i've seen reports of the netgear r7000 and mikrotik being capable of handling more than 100 clients on a single AP.

Every AP will do fine if the wifi chip is handling everything up to 32 devices at least with a few restrictions. However some consumer routers and some ubiquiti wifi APs have trouble handling more than 15 devices.
Thanks for the info! I don't have that many devices yet but if I ever need it I will look into those. I have had the 2 Amplifi routers hooked up for a few days now and it has been working great so far! I downloaded the latest update on both routers and haven't had any issues with buffering or a slow connection on any of my devices.

Thought I would give a quick update. I have been very happy with the 3 routers I have for my home so far. There was one issue with a router after a firmware update where one of the routers was stuck on an updating screen but I was able to get a new router sent out to me the next day. I installed the latest update and it is working great.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!