What's new

Looking for reliable router (more info inside)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tahoebigah

New Around Here
I currently have a TP-Link Archer C9 v1 which has done well for the past 4 years but has died.

My budget is $200 +/-. I was looking at the Netgear X4S(R7800), TP-Link C5400, or Asus AC86U. I really want something that will last reliably for 4-5 years and I wont have to reboot every 1-2 weeks. I am nervous about any Asus routers since all the reviews talk about 2.4 crapping out after a year. I am open to other suggestions.

I have a 1300 sq ft house with around 20ish devices. I also have an 8 port Netgear POE switch that handles 5 cameras, firetv, and a media server. I had no issues anywhere with the wifi signal. No one here plays any games so that isnt a worry. I dont have interest in AX routers because I dont think they are ready yet plus the price is too high for the current offering/issues.

I currently have a TP-Link Archer C9 v1 which has done well for the past 4 years but has died.

My budget is $200 +/-. I was looking at the Netgear X4S(R7800), TP-Link C5400, or Asus AC86U. I really want something that will last reliably for 4-5 years and I wont have to reboot every 1-2 weeks. I am nervous about any Asus routers since all the reviews talk about 2.4 crapping out after a year. I am open to other suggestions.

I have a 1300 sq ft house with around 20ish devices. I also have an 8 port Netgear POE switch that handles 5 cameras, firetv, and a media server. I had no issues anywhere with the wifi signal. No one here plays any games so that isnt a worry. I dont have interest in AX routers because I dont think they are ready yet plus the price is too high for the current offering/issues.

There is no doubt that the RT-AC86U with RMerlin support is an easy recommendation here.

Add a spare USB drive to the router, following the amtm Step-by-Step guide and you will have even more features along with added stability and uptime too, in my experience. :)

Please see the link in my signature below for more details.

I second the recommendation by L&LD on the AC86U. My third Asus router and my favorite. No problems with 2.4g radio so far. I purchased mine in Novemder last year. Seems I read a post here that the issue has been resolved. Anyway if you purchase from Amazon no problems getting a replacement. Welcome to the forum and whatever you decide to purchase and if you purchase from Amazon, click on any link here in the forum and SNB gets a small commission on anything you buy. Helps Tim pay the bills and keeps the forum alive.

Thank you both for the info and I will def. purchase via Amazon link on the forum. This forum seems great and has a wealth of knowledgeable people.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!