What's new

Looking to add a NAS to our network and have some questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

emoaloha

New Around Here
Hello. I'm a newbie to the concept of NAS, or really to anything more advanced than basic router and network setup.

My husband and I would like to add a networked storage device that can be accessed wirelessly so that we can share files, primarily photos, video, and audio. I work primarily off an Android tablet, and occassionally off a work issued laptop for which I cannot have Administrative privlegdes. My husband works primarily from a new MacBook, but also from Windows 7 machines. We've read a lot of various NAS configurations and it seems this is a good option for us, especially hoping we can connect the NAS to our TV, stereo, or BluRay.

So here's the questions...
1. Do we need a new router to get efficient use from the NAS? We are currently running from the router issued by our ISP. We can stream video and audio from the web without any hiccups, but wonder if it will be sufficient with the NAS. I am not terribly worried about over-the-net transfer speed, nor can I upgrade to anything faster than the 11 Mbp/s we currently have. I'm primarily considering within the network transfer speed or other capabilites we may need that aren't available from our ISP provided router. Its a Pace 4111N, in case that's helpful. At most we'd have two streams going at once.

2. Our media devices aren't paticuarly "smart". The TV has another space for HDMI input, and for that reason I was considering the QNAP TS-251. Our BluRay is connected to the router, but does not have wireless. Supposedly it supports DLNA , though its not clear to me how it gets the stream from a device like a NAS. Our stereo is from the 1980s so its connectivity isn't part of the discussion for now, though it would be nice to know we could connect to the NAS when/if we upgrade.

3. It seems both QNAP and Synology NAS systems have a lot of realtively easy to use features, and their instructional videos don't seem too intimidating, but if you think we should steer clear of one or the other, I'd appreciate the feedback.

As long as your router has Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports, it is fine. Internet speed doesn't affect LAN to LAN transfers.

Synology and QNAP are both good choices. Go check out the administration interface demos and see which you prefer.

If your media device can browse for network shares to select a file to play, you don't need DLNA. If it can't, you do.

Giigabit Ethernet is necessary to reach the maximum throughput that any of today's NASes are capable of. That said, it is not necessary to stream HD content, or even 4K content to one device. Both require maxium bit rates well below 100 Mbps.

Hello. I'm a newbie to the concept of NAS, or really to anything more advanced than basic router and network setup.

My husband and I would like to add a networked storage device that can be accessed wirelessly so that we can share files, primarily photos, video, and audio. I work primarily off an Android tablet, and occassionally off a work issued laptop for which I cannot have Administrative privlegdes. My husband works primarily from a new MacBook, but also from Windows 7 machines. We've read a lot of various NAS configurations and it seems this is a good option for us, especially hoping we can connect the NAS to our TV, stereo, or BluRay.

So here's the questions...
1. Do we need a new router to get efficient use from the NAS? We are currently running from the router issued by our ISP. We can stream video and audio from the web without any hiccups, but wonder if it will be sufficient with the NAS. I am not terribly worried about over-the-net transfer speed, nor can I upgrade to anything faster than the 11 Mbp/s we currently have. I'm primarily considering within the network transfer speed or other capabilites we may need that aren't available from our ISP provided router. Its a Pace 4111N, in case that's helpful. At most we'd have two streams going at once.

2. Our media devices aren't paticuarly "smart". The TV has another space for HDMI input, and for that reason I was considering the QNAP TS-251. Our BluRay is connected to the router, but does not have wireless. Supposedly it supports DLNA , though its not clear to me how it gets the stream from a device like a NAS. Our stereo is from the 1980s so its connectivity isn't part of the discussion for now, though it would be nice to know we could connect to the NAS when/if we upgrade.

3. It seems both QNAP and Synology NAS systems have a lot of realtively easy to use features, and their instructional videos don't seem too intimidating, but if you think we should steer clear of one or the other, I'd appreciate the feedback.

1. Do we need a new router to get efficient use from the NAS? We are currently running from the router issued by our ISP. We can stream video and audio from the web without any hiccups, but wonder if it will be sufficient with the NAS. I am not terribly worried about over-the-net transfer speed, nor can I upgrade to anything faster than the 11 Mbp/s we currently have. I'm primarily considering within the network transfer speed or other capabilities we may need that aren't available from our ISP provided router. Its a Pace 4111N, in case that's helpful. At most, we'd have two streams going at once.

@thiggins is right about needing gigabit ethernet. If your router only offers 10/100 you need to upgrade to one that offers 10/100/1000, with 1000mbps being the primary specification you're looking for.

2. Our media devices aren't particularly "smart". The TV has another space for HDMI input, and for that reason, I was considering the QNAP TS-251. Our BluRay is connected to the router, but does not have wireless. Supposedly it supports DLNA , though its not clear to me how it gets the stream from a device like a NAS. Our stereo is from the 1980s so its connectivity isn't part of the discussion for now, though it would be nice to know we could connect to the NAS when/if we upgrade.

Almost every NAS on the market supports DNLA, which is the file sharing protocol used for multimedia, so look for DLNA support on the NAS as well. That will take care of the bluray player. If your stereo is older, your going to need another DLNA "player" to hook up to the stereo. The problem with streaming music from a NAS is that it often requires a visual interface to navigate to the music your trying to play. More than likely, you should use your bluray player to stream all of your media (assuming it's hooked up to your stereo).

I have never tried the mentioned devices. I only use Netgear equipment and this forum has dedicated forum support for all Netgear products.

Just my personal experience with two TVs that indicate DLNA support - they don't see my NAS4Free when I enable the DLNA service.

So both for the video streaming and router I would say setup the NAS, once you can browse your files from your clients ( android, mac, etc ) see how it works.

If things seem slow and your laptops indicate less than gigabit speeds then look into options for new routers.

For video streaming of content on your NAS an Amazon Fire TV with the Kodi app works great.

Just my personal experience with two TVs that indicate DLNA support - they don't see my NAS4Free when I enable the DLNA service.

So both for the video streaming and router I would say setup the NAS, once you can browse your files from your clients ( android, mac, etc ) see how it works.

If things seem slow and your laptops indicate less than gigabit speeds then look into options for new routers.

For video streaming of content on your NAS an Amazon Fire TV with the Kodi app works great.
Just so you're aware NAS4Free is not DLNA certified. That is why DLNA device don't see it.