What's new

Looking to buy new NAS system

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lynnejt

New Around Here
For the past 4/5 years I have been using a ZyXEL NSA310s for all my video/audio/data files. I don't envisage my capacity to go beyond 3TB. I would be grateful if some one could offer some advice on what to move to. Technology gets outdated very quickly, and I feel I need to change.

The hard drive I have already have in the ZyXEL. Is there a specific procedure I should be thinking about when transferring it to the new system or can I just slot it in.

Budget wise looking at £200.00 to spend max.

Thanks

You won't be able to move your drive from the Zyxel to your new NAS. The drive and filesystem formats are not compatible.

Unless Zyxel has changed its rsync to support backup to any rsync server, you won't be able to do a network backup from old NAS to new NAS unless the new NAS is a Zyxel.

This means you will need to use USB backup to move files. You would copy the NAS files to it and VERIFY the files were properly copied. Then move the Zyxel drive to the new NAS, where it will be erased as part of the installation process. Then attach the USB drive to the new NAS and copy the files to the internal drive.

You can leave the USB drive attached to the new NAS and run scheduled backups to it. You should never trust files to only one device.

For suggestions, since you are accustomed to Zyxel and if it is doing the job, then consider a NAS326 or NAS 520. These are two-bay NASes, but you can run them with a single drive.

I recently purchased a Synology DS216j that is working nicely with a single drive.

Thanks for the information thiggins! I use the NAS as a back up and not a main point of storage. We've enjoyed using it for streaming, however, on videos we get quite a bit of stuttering with both sound and film. I thought this might be down to the performance of the software on the TV, which is a Panasonic Veira smart tv.