What's new

Looking to purchase a NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chess

Occasional Visitor
So I have alot of data that I save, mainly on DVDS, Bluray right now and I want to have it on my home network/ Obviously, when it comes to anything like this I am use to stuff at work, such as NetApp and carving out spaces to run 100's and 1000's of VM's......

I want something for my files at home, as well as transcoding videos to watch.
The main files I am backing up are, pictures (son plays alot of sports), music, movies, data backups of my home machine, laptop, and two other machines I have here locally.
I am really unsure which route to go.

Everytime I look at QNAP, I see something I don't like and go look at Synology. LOL....

I do know I want the following.
A min of 4 drives.
4k transcoding
Ability to create VM's etc....

The following I have in mind are
QNAP - TS-x53A
QNAP - TS-653A
Synology DS1515+
Synology DS918+

Thanks yall !!

what ever you pick, make sure you backup the NAS data on independent drives, preferably automatically. RAID is not a backup strategy.

what ever you pick, make sure you backup the NAS data on independent drives, preferably automatically. RAID is not a backup strategy.

@degrub totally agree with you, I've been doing this a while in the govt sector that if someone believes raid is a backup strategy they are going to find out the hard way.. LOL

Thanks ! I look forward to hearing back from others on this

just looking for some good quality opinions still... still torn between a few of these.. any help is more than appreciated !!

Synology likely has a better software package, but it depends on what you need. Read the posts in the Synology and QNAP forums for issues.

Otherwise, look for price or flip a coin.