1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Looking to purchase a NAS

Discussion in 'NAS Buying Advice' started by chess, Feb 18, 2018.

1. chess

chess Occasional Visitor

So I have alot of data that I save, mainly on DVDS, Bluray right now and I want to have it on my home network/ Obviously, when it comes to anything like this I am use to stuff at work, such as NetApp and carving out spaces to run 100's and 1000's of VM's......

I want something for my files at home, as well as transcoding videos to watch.
    The main files I am backing up are, pictures (son plays alot of sports), music, movies, data backups of my home machine, laptop, and two other machines I have here locally.
    I am really unsure which route to go.

Everytime I look at QNAP, I see something I don't like and go look at Synology. LOL....

I do know I want the following.
    A min of 4 drives.
    4k transcoding
    Ability to create VM's etc....

The following I have in mind are
    QNAP - TS-x53A
    QNAP - TS-653A
    Synology DS1515+
    Synology DS918+

Thanks yall !!

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. degrub

degrub Very Senior Member

what ever you pick, make sure you backup the NAS data on independent drives, preferably automatically. RAID is not a backup strategy.

4. chess

chess Occasional Visitor

@degrub totally agree with you, I've been doing this a while in the govt sector that if someone believes raid is a backup strategy they are going to find out the hard way.. LOL

Thanks ! I look forward to hearing back from others on this

5. chess

chess Occasional Visitor

just looking for some good quality opinions still... still torn between a few of these.. any help is more than appreciated !!

6. degrub

degrub Very Senior Member

Synology likely has a better software package, but it depends on what you need. Read the posts in the Synology and QNAP forums for issues.

Otherwise, look for price or flip a coin.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!