What's new

Losing 5 GHz-2 after phone connects to Eye FI card on AC5300 on 380.65

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

torsteinko

New Around Here
Hi,

I have kind of a strange problem that is deterministic but hard to troubleshoot. I started using fw 380.64 when I had problems with my chromecasts, and that FW solved all of these problems. I am also an avid photographer and have a eye-fi card in my camera that transmits pictures to my phone. I use their keenai app for that. All that should in theory be irrelevant to my problem, but for some reason it is not.

On 380.64 this all used to work fine (this is the only component I am aware that has changed). I would take pictures with my camera, my phone connects to the eye-fi card and stores them. Once the transfer is done, the phone connects back to the wifi network and uploads the pictures to OneDrive.

On 380.65 the phone will connect to eye-fi and transfer the pictures, however once that process completes the 5-2 GHz network (I have 3 networks, one 2.4 and two 5 Ghz) is not functional. By that I mean, it still shows up and devices can connect to it, but there is no network activity, i.e. all connected devices connected to that wifi network lose the internet access. The other two wifi networks still behave as normal. The only way I am able to recover this is by rebooting the router, restarting wireless did not seem to help. Turning off phone and camera does not have an effect either.

Was there any particular change to 5 GHz wireless support in 380.65, as this is the only component that changed in my setup?

Torstein

those eye-fi cards have been problematic from the get go with many people complaining about them , it does seem that its only the eye-fi that causes the issue and the simple answer is to disable its wifi and just connect the sd card to a comp and transfer them manually , technology is not always your best friend

Thanks Pete! - I can certainly work around the problem by doing that :), but it defats the whole purpose of the card. I use a 5Ds camera, so I get all pictures to my phone through the eye-fi, and the raw to a CF card. I only transfer the raw files to the computer if the shot is worth it. Currently, I disable the card on the camera when I am inside, but if I forget I have to reboot the router. I find it a bit strange that the whole problem started after I upgrade from 64-65 though.

Torstein

Hi,

Interestingly this might be a problem with the (or mine) Samsung S7 phone, and 5GHz. My phone suddenly rebooted and after that left the 5GHz network in the same state, so it seems to be something in the transition from one network to another. I switched to 2.4GHz network only for my phone and now I do not have the problem, i.e. 2.4GHz network works fine after I have downloaded pictures from the eye-fi card. So, eye-fi is probably not part of the equation here, but more how Samsung S7 works on 5 GHz network with the ac-5300.

Torstein