What's new

Losing connection RT-N66U 2,4 & 5GHZ

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FrankH78

New Around Here
Hi,

Lately some of my devices are losing connection to the internet but they are still connected with the router. When I turn off the Wifi on that specific device and turn it back on the connection is restored, all my other devices still work on the same network.
And it isn't the same device time after time it will change from different phones and tablets.

What can I do about this issue or is the router nearing it's end.

Thanks,
Frank

Hi,

Lately some of my devices are losing connection to the internet but they are still connected with the router. When I turn off the Wifi on that specific device and turn it back on the connection is restored, all my other devices still work on the same network.
And it isn't the same device time after time it will change from different phones and tablets.

What can I do about this issue or is the router nearing it's end.

Thanks,
Frank

If only the router WLAN devices are losing Internet access and not their router connection, then it could be the router hardware. Me, I would not think twice about replacing a WiFi4 router.

You could try re-commissioning it with current firmware... flash, reset, and configure from scratch.

OE

Me, I would not think twice about replacing a WiFi4 router.

Yes, and if RT-N66U is good enough, RT-AC66U B1 is the replacement model for under $100.

I have been using an RT-N66 for years, 24/7. It is still happy, currently with 500 Gb ftth. Still, it is an old router and failure can and does occur even with newer hardware. Several things come to mind. I have always used open source firmware, starting with Shibby Tomato until he quit upgrading and currently with John's Fork of Merlin and I highly recommend upgrading as soon as possible. It works great.

There is a problem if you are running the current factory or Merlin firmware and the Windows based recovery software or the built-in CFE Mini-Web server will be required to upgrade to John's since Asus and Merlin have complied with FCC regulations making such an upgrade impossible due to RF power levels. Access to the CFE Mini server is outlined elsewhere in this forum. Using it is actually quite easy and dependable and once done, it won't be necessary to repeat using it unless you revert to the earlier firmware. Do be sure to revert to factory config settings first and do not try to "save" anything. That may solve your troubles but if not, after checking the power brick and making sure that the router has good airflow around it, the time may have come for a new router. Oh, also start over with fresh factory config settings just in case you have messed something up in the config. Change only what you must.

I try to keep up with current Asus designs in the event that the '66 dies. Fingers are crossed. At the moment, the RT-AX58 looks like a good bet but time could change that. I will be checking the release date of anything I buy, hoping for the longevity of my '66 in the newer hardware. Good luck.

The RT-AX58U is not a good buy.

The RT-AX68U is a much better router.

Moving this to a separate thread.