What's new

"Lost" AI mesh node. Unable to add it back to system again

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

demokedes

Occasional Visitor
Dear all,
I have RT-AC86U with two AImesh nodes AC (ZenWifi AC Mini). Everything was working fine until few days ago, when I realized one of the AI mesh nodes is not working. I checked on the router and I see it is not visible anymore.
There is a blue light blinking on the router all the time.
I rebooted router and the node several times, but without any sucess. Eveny If I try to sear for it through portal, I cannot find it. I have problem, because the node is located very high on the wall, and I don't have physical access to it. Therefore, I cannot reset it.
Please help on how to add it to the system again. I can turn it on/off with taking the electricity.
Thank you in advance,
Rok

Dear all,
I have RT-AC86U with two AImesh nodes AC (ZenWifi AC Mini). Everything was working fine until few days ago, when I realized one of the AI mesh nodes is not working. I checked on the router and I see it is not visible anymore.
There is a blue light blinking on the router all the time.
I rebooted router and the node several times, but without any sucess. Eveny If I try to sear for it through portal, I cannot find it. I have problem, because the node is located very high on the wall, and I don't have physical access to it. Therefore, I cannot reset it.
Please help on how to add it to the system again. I can turn it on/off with taking the electricity.
Thank you in advance,
Rok

I think you need to recommission it to discover the issue. Make sure router and node are broadcasting healthy WLANs and that WPS is enabled before search/add. And beware any new, close WiFi/other interference with wireless communication including too many APs in too little space.

The lack of access is its own problem.

OE

Last edited:
Recommision? That means resetting it? It is very hard for me to achieve that since I don't have physical access to it? No other way?

Recommision? That means resetting it? It is very hard for me to achieve that since I don't have physical access to it? No other way?

Yes, attempt to set it up again to hopefully discover an issue. There is no magic setting to fix 'no communication now like before' that I know of.

Some commissioning tips:

Reset FAQ
Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE (fw defaults)
Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition (fw defaults+clear logs)

The default settings come in with the firmware, so if the firmware has been updated much without a reset, it can be good idea to begin with a reset to default settings before commissioning from scratch... instead of continuing with existing/previous settings.

If you do recommission the network, I would start with current firmware, reset it, and then configure it from scratch.

The lack of access remains its own problem... perhaps made more difficult by using AiMesh instead of a more robust (and more expensive) solution.

OE

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!