What's new

Lost connection: router or device problem?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lee MacMillan

I have a AC66U-B1 running the latest (prior to the 7/28 update) Asus firmware. At any given time there are 10-12 wireless clients attached, though generally no more than 3 or 4 are active at once. Recently, a couple of devices, (a Samsung tablet on 5G and a Lenovo laptop on 2.4G) have started losing their connection briefly. It usually reconnects almost immediately. Neither is in the same room as the router. The laptop is in the basement and though it's probably only 15 feet away on a straight line, there are a couple walls in the signal path, in addition to being about 10' below the level of the router. I am assuming since I don't have this issue with any other wireless device (at least not that I'm aware of), it's probably the device rather than the router. Does that sound like a reasonable assumption?

Last edited:
The basics are:
  • The best is a free line of sight between the router and the client.
  • Place the router in open air, at least do not place the router in a closet.
  • Use a WiFi Analyzer on a laptop, walk around your house and see what channels are in use in your neighborhood, use the least used channels for your router. Repeat this every so many weeks or months, your neighbors may have introduced new equipment.
  • Experiment with router location and antenna orientation, move the router a few feet or rotate it may help a lot.
You may give these settings a try:

Advanced Settings - Wireless - Professional - 2.4 GHz
  • Modulation Scheme: Up to MCS 7 (802.11n)
  • Airtime Fairness: Disable
  • Universal Beamforming: Disable

Advanced Settings - Wireless - Professional - 5 GHz
  • Airtime Fairness: Disable
  • Universal Beamforming: Disable

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!