What's new

Lost WAN admin access when VPN went down

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TJ Patel

New Around Here
I use an Asus RT-AC86U and have a VPN configured with kill switch enabled. A few weeks ago, the VPN server the router was connected to had connectivity issues. As expected, the clients on the LAN lost internet connection. But not expected, I was unable to remote into the router's admin page via WAN.

I had to drive over to the property where I use this device and connect to the LAN. Then the web admin popped right up and I was able to diagnose the VPN connection issue. I switched VPN servers, the router reconnected, and all was good. I was now able to access the admin via WAN again.

I've already given the router ip access to the WAN directly, so wasn't expecting it to be unaccessible when the VPN disconnected. How do I configure the router to ensure I have WAN admin access even if VPN kill switch is active, so I can remote manage the router if this happens again?

Screenshots of config attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190323-074039.png
    Screenshot_20190323-074039.png
    175.1 KB · Views: 253
  • Screenshot_20190323-073828.png
    Screenshot_20190323-073828.png
    246.6 KB · Views: 284

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!