What's new

Loving Netgear WNDR4500!!!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IFLATLINEI

New Around Here
Ive been a linksys guys for quite some time nursing along old routers to get the kind of performance I demand from my network. My first router was a Linksys BFSR41 and then I "Upgraded" to a Linksys WRT54GS. I dont remember having issues with the BFSR41 but the WRT54GS has been a thorn in my side for years.

The problem was it was underpowered and simply asking it to do its basic job was a never ending hassle. I caved early on and basically set it up to do nothing but act as a splitter. It even served as an access point for my Smoothwall and then PFSense box. Both those setups worked well but eventually just became to complicated and power hungry for a home network.

So last week I was fed up. I couldnt deal anymore. I went to Best Buy only because I couldnt wait anymore and I had all intentions of buying some middle of the road wireless N router but couldnt stop picking up the WNDR4500 box. $180 is alot more than I wanted to spend on a router but I was hoping to get my max speed or close to it while for once being able to properly secure my network.

Mission accomplished!!! This thing is fast and was super easy to set up. Granted it uses more power than my Linksys but not even close to my old Smoothwall box. I need to see how much it could take so I began to que up streams in 720p from Hulu on multiple devices and even streamed a 1080p movie to my tablet from my server at the same time and the Netgear router never stumbled. Gaming has improved a bit although I was getting pretty good gaming performance before. The difference now is that I can still game while the GF is watching Hulu and not even notice,

On my Network I have 2 Desktops
3 Laptops
2 PS3's
2 smartphones
1 Tablet
My ISP is Time Warner and I have the 15/2 package

All I need to do now is bypass the extra 100ft of coax from probably 1980 running up the side wall thats no doubt causing the noise I see on my modem page