What's new

Low cost wired-only router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marc Delfstra

New Around Here
Dear forum members, I got a few question’s for you:

I'm looking for some additional info in the search for a low cost, low energy consumption wired-only router for home usage. Wired connections will go to:
- WAN cable modem (250Mbs down/25mbps up connection)
- Ubiquity UAP-AC-LR
- Ubiquity UAP-AC-lite (near future)
- Small switch for game console and smart tv
Wireless: A bunch of smartphones, tablets, laptops, chromecasts (the usual stuff for a family of 5 I guess).

I don't expect much need for specific routing (I only use cloud solutions now a days), although QoS and a VPN connection are on my-nice-to-have list. We have a game console, but we are just “casual” gamers. Most traffic will be the usuall stuf (streaming video, chat, websites, uploading images/video etc)
I do have some basic network knowledge, so if there is no wizard for setting-up the router is no problem (although it shouldn’t take half a day or more to do a basic setup).

I’ve done some research, but the only low cost, gigabit, wired-only routers I could find are the Ubiquiti Edgerouter X or Microtik Hex (rb750GR3). I guess not a problem since both seem to fit my needs with ease and are low cost (both around € 50) and low energy consumption devices.

The questions which remain (I cannot find an answer on this forum or anywhere else):
  1. Did I miss any other devices in my search?
  2. Is there a significant difference in performance between the 2 (based on the simple needs I describe)? i guess not but would like that confirmed
  3. Is the Microtik Hex PoE (RB960PGS) an alternative since I will have 2 PoE accespoint’s attached? But is the 450ma output sufficient for the Ubiquity AP’s (max650ma documented)? It saves me at least the hassle of buying a new power strip with one additional socket). 1 adapter vs 3 would also save some energy I guess (I know, not going to save the world or my wallet here, but just doing my best to be eco friendly ;))

Used linksys ea4500 with secure, consistent downloading openwrt installed, 20$. used poe switch, or injectors. mikrotik fast, but router os inconsistent downloads(arstechnica article), not secure. er-x is ok, read up on limitations. can always convert er-x to openwrt(no fast nat). er-x consistency not tested, but may be ok with factory vyatta os

1. It is hard to find powerful, low cost wired-only routers brand new. One alternative is to install OpenWRT on a TP-Link Archer C7.
2. The most important difference between the Ubiquiti Edgerouter ER-X and Mikrotik Hex (RB750Gr3) is that the ER-X cannot do more than 1 Gbps aggregate due to design limitations, while the Hex can. So, if there is any possibility of getting Gigabit Internet soon, forget the ER-X.
3. Use a PoE switch. No point trying to find all-in-one solutions, for many of the same reasons why you are enquiring for a wired-only router, it is brittle: harder to find all you need, less reliable and less flexible.

Of all your options, the ER-X is the safest and most powerful cheap one brand-new due to a much easier learning curve than Mikrotik RouterOS, built-in support for SQM (including modern AQMs like fq_codel), support for modern VPN (OpenVPN and more) and it is open to install both user packages and other OS.

1. It is hard to find powerful, low cost wired-only routers brand new. One alternative is to install OpenWRT on a TP-Link Archer C7.
2. The most important difference between the Ubiquiti Edgerouter ER-X and Mikrotik Hex (RB750Gr3) is that the ER-X cannot do more than 1 Gbps aggregate due to design limitations, while the Hex can. So, if there is any possibility of getting Gigabit Internet soon, forget the ER-X.
3. Use a PoE switch. No point trying to find all-in-one solutions, for many of the same reasons why you are enquiring for a wired-only router, it is brittle: harder to find all you need, less reliable and less flexible.

Of all your options, the ER-X is the safest and most powerful cheap one brand-new due to a much easier learning curve than Mikrotik RouterOS, built-in support for SQM (including modern AQMs like fq_codel), support for modern VPN (OpenVPN and more) and it is open to install both user packages and other OS.
Thank you for re-phrasing my answer!

1: At this moment I already have an Asus RT-N66U. But this router will go to somebody I know who has better use for a router including wifi. I want to cleanup my network install, so thats the reason I'm aiming at a wired only router. But my guess there is no real market for it was correct. But € 50 is about the price i sold my previous router for ;)...and I will save a few cents a year in energy consumption.
2: Gigabit internet at my home ain't gonna happen in the next few years I guess, so I'm not taking that into consideration.
3. It would save me some extra poweradapters and keep the install somewhat easier..but replacing a 4 socket powerstrip with a 5 socket won't be to hard.

Thanks for your advice. Guess it will by the Edgerouter X then :cool:

Last edited:
Beyond budget alone, I'd focus on getting whatever you need to run all services at the speeds you desire. If everything you're planning to run is hardware-offloadable, then most any embedded box will do these days, ER-X and HeX included.

That said, the limits start to get pushed with non-offloadable services (QoS, VPN, etc.), which require routing be in in-software via CPU. That's when you see most ARM-based all-in-one consumer routers fall on their faces after 100-200Mb/s, even the high 1-2+ Ghz models. The ER-X or HeX with their 880Mhz MIPS chips will fair a bit better, typically redlining by about 200-250 Mb/s, depending on the software stack and config. In the cheap space (<$100 USD), they're probably the best (and only) wired SoC embedded options to look at.

The only other real option to go faster for super cheap would be an old x86 Intel i3/i5/i7 box (maybe an older desktop you've got lying around?) with a multi-NIC Intel card off eBay, running whatever free community firewall distro floats your boat: pfSense, OpenWRT, Untangle Home, Sophos UTM Community, etc. That will get into the high hundreds of Mb/s, likely 1Gb+. But it will of course require your time and energy to put the solution together, learn how to admin it, etc.

The Cisco RV340 routers and the old Cisco RV320 routers. The RV340 router is a little more cost but not expensive by todays standards. I paid $151 for my RV340 router new. The RV320 router is really cheap and can be had used for not much money. I use my old RV320 router at my daughter's business. The RV320 should do fine on a 250 connection. It may break down on VPN as I don't use VPN. I see no need for it.

Beyond budget alone, I'd focus on getting whatever you need to run all services at the speeds you desire. If everything you're planning to run is hardware-offloadable, then most any embedded box will do these days, ER-X and HeX included.

That said, the limits start to get pushed with non-offloadable services (QoS, VPN, etc.), which require routing be in in-software via CPU. That's when you see most ARM-based all-in-one consumer routers fall on their faces after 100-200Mb/s, even the high 1-2+ Ghz models. The ER-X or HeX with their 880Mhz MIPS chips will fair a bit better, typically redlining by about 200-250 Mb/s, depending on the software stack and config. In the cheap space (<$100 USD), they're probably the best (and only) wired SoC embedded options to look at.

The only other real option to go faster for super cheap would be an old x86 Intel i3/i5/i7 box (maybe an older desktop you've got lying around?) with a multi-NIC Intel card off eBay, running whatever free community firewall distro floats your boat: pfSense, OpenWRT, Untangle Home, Sophos UTM Community, etc. That will get into the high hundreds of Mb/s, likely 1Gb+. But it will of course require your time and energy to put the solution together, learn how to admin it, etc.

Thanks for your reply and insights. I don't anticipate to have any services in house or a major upgrade from my ISP. I had a NAS providing running a fileserver, webserver and media server. I just recently sold it because I hadn't used it for over a year. Everything is now in the cloud or replaced by netflix and spotify. So except an internetconnection there will not be that much going on.

I wont go for an old computer running this. It will consume WAY to much power. In my mind this is a bit of overkill. The ER X or HeX will do just fine I guess.

The Cisco RV340 routers and the old Cisco RV320 routers. The RV340 router is a little more cost but not expensive by todays standards. I paid $151 for my RV340 router new. The RV320 router is really cheap and can be had used for not much money. I use my old RV320 router at my daughter's business. The RV320 should do fine on a 250 connection. It may break down on VPN as I don't use VPN. I see no need for it.

These routers are more almost 3x the price of the ER X and HeX. 2x gigabit WAN isn't exactly nescesarry…
The VPN is just to be able to controll the network from another location. No services over it.

I installed the ER X this weekend. Had some trouble at first with connecting to the internet. I quickly realized it had to do with DNS (pinging on IP worked). Apparently the wizard on the ERX doesn’t setup the DNS (confirmed on the Ubiquity forum). Not to bad, but it confirms that the target audience for the ER X is not the average consumer! After solving that had some problems with the connection from the router to the modem, but a restart of both fixed that.

The first few days the new setup has run without any problems. Even when 6 clients were streaming 4k/HD video, some casual gaming on PS4 and a speedtest from my laptop the cpu usage of the router never exceeded 60% (peak). I haven’t setup VPN, but that’s for later.

The ER X is running very cool (measured the outside of the unit and adapter with just my hand). My old router/adapter were significant warmer, so I guess my goal of saving a few bucks on energy is also met.

Thanks again for your responses!

should've seen this earlier as you've missed plenty of devices, pfsense or x86 based routers are an example, they typically come with intel atom or AMD equivalent CPU.

You can also recycle any older PCs too.

There are plenty more choices. Some will mention cisco RV but i personally hate every VPN router as they're superseded by every newer router.

Doesnt the ERX have an internal thermometer? I know mikrotik routerboards do both on CPU and board. They can also see the input voltage too so you can see if your PSU is going bad. Some can also see their own power use.

I installed the ER X this weekend. Had some trouble at first with connecting to the internet. I quickly realized it had to do with DNS (pinging on IP worked). Apparently the wizard on the ERX doesn’t setup the DNS (confirmed on the Ubiquity forum). Not to bad, but it confirms that the target audience for the ER X is not the average consumer! After solving that had some problems with the connection from the router to the modem, but a restart of both fixed that.

The first few days the new setup has run without any problems. Even when 6 clients were streaming 4k/HD video, some casual gaming on PS4 and a speedtest from my laptop the cpu usage of the router never exceeded 60% (peak). I haven’t setup VPN, but that’s for later.

The ER X is running very cool (measured the outside of the unit and adapter with just my hand). My old router/adapter were significant warmer, so I guess my goal of saving a few bucks on energy is also met.

Thanks again for your responses!

As long as you manually enabled HWoffload, you should be fine.
Dont use v2 firmware on the ERX, it has severe issues. I believe it has been pulled.