What's new

Low-radiation JRS Eco-wifi router? (Possible? Legal?)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

XIII

Very Senior Member
Anybody ever heard of low-radiation JRS Eco-wifi routers?

(someone posted about them on another forum)

https://www.jrseco.com/

I’m not interested in buying one, but I do wonder whether this is legal (he seems to be selling ASUS routers with modified ASUSWRT firmware).

Also curious whether this could be working or whether it’s snake oil...

I've seen a couple of posts about these in the past. It's just snake oil. Unfortunately there are gullible people in the world.

We don't see what firmware he's using so it's impossible to say whether it's illegal. He might be using something like OpenWRT.

EDIT: Found where it says "The JRS Eco firmware is an extension of the Asus firmware and you retain full functionality."

I'd put this in the same category as people who think 5G is responsible for Covid-19

Or using a mask will give you CO2 poisoning.

They advertise their firmware on an Asus router which is no different from using DD-WRT or Tomato on an Asus router.

Still Snake Oil.

Aren’t they required to publish their modifications, due to the GPL license?

If they're compiling their own firmware. Or at least the GPL bits. But they don't have to publish any independent proprietary code, just like with Merlin and the Trend Micro stuff.

However, I'm thinking that they might just be using the standard firmware with the beacon period set to a very high value. The other "features" are just normally present in the Asus firmware anyway.:rolleyes: That would be in keeping with a product that screams "scam" at every point.

It would be interesting for someone to challenge them to produce the GPL code. :D

OK I found a video of the firmware on YouTube.

It does look like they have compiled their own firmware because he explains that you have to download it from their website and install it. EDIT: You can download a copy of its manual here which includes screenshots.

Looking at the firmware version number it appears to be a modified version of Merlin. I guess there's nothing to stop them doing that but I wonder if @RMerlin is aware of that.

As suspected all this product appears to be doing is changing the beacon interval and setting a lower power output which are things you can already do with the standard firmware.

Last edited:
Looking at the firmware version number it appears to be a modified version of Merlin. I guess there's nothing to stop them doing that but I wonder if @RMerlin is aware of that.

Selling it as his product seems wrong, but then his whole Eco schtick is wrong.

OE

If one of you has time to spare, contact them and make a formal request for them to release any code change they have made to the GPL code, as required by the licensing terms. So, if they made any change to the open-sourced portion of the firmware, they are required to release these changes.

Wow, he apparently charges €129 for just the firmware, without any hardware...

(I know that is no GPL violation)

Wow, he apparently charges €129 for just the firmware, without any hardware...

(I know that is no GPL violation)

Selling modified GPL code without providing the GPL source changes, is.

asus have eco mode in asus router app....

if I only had 1 device, I would just hook up ethernet and turn off wifi ...
because I have more than wifi device, it will never be radiation-free XD

I need the extra dose of wifi radiation to turn me into hulk someday :D

If one of you has time to spare, contact them and make a formal request for them to release any code change they have made to the GPL code, as required by the licensing terms. So, if they made any change to the open-sourced portion of the firmware, they are required to release these changes.

I would suggest that Asus contacts him directly - as they likely do have GPL claims they can assert, and if he's built on AsusWRT-RMerlin, there may be additional claims.

I can get involved, but Asus would have the strongest claim here.

Unfortunately there are gullible people in the world.

This falls into the same category as those who refuse to wear facemasks in the current CoVID thing, refuse to vaccinate their kids, believe that overhead power lines cause cancer/autism/whatever, and that WiFi/2g/3g/4g/5g somehow causes everything.

Junk Science - the first two can actually kill people, the second two just show that most people are basically uninformed, so any idiot can come up with something...

This falls into the same category as those who refuse to wear facemasks in the current CoVID thing, refuse to vaccinate their kids, believe that overhead power lines cause cancer/autism/whatever, and that WiFi/2g/3g/4g/5g somehow causes everything.

Junk Science - the first two can actually kill people, the second two just show that most people are basically uninformed, so any idiot can come up with something...

... like this 'air conditioner' advertised on SNBForums:

Annotation 2020-07-07 083436.png

It's a humidifier that cools air by evaporating water until it can't anymore. Then you get mold and mildew.

OE

... like this 'air conditioner' advertised on SNBForums:

View attachment 24568

It's a humidifier that cools air by evaporating water until it can't anymore. Then you get mold and mildew.

OE

You can buy the same device or at least type of device at Home Depot for I believe US$29.95 so this online company is probably making a killing on each unit that they can entice someone to buy.

I also believe you put ice into the fan unit so they air is cooled by blowing across the ice. Not some new revolutionary device as back in the really old days before AC you took a block of ice and had your fan blow across the ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with that one is that it is probably dumping his heat energy out the coils on the back of his freezer in another room of the house... so he is just moving heat energy from one room to another and adding to it the waste heat generated by the fan and the compressor in the freezer... an overall heat energy gain and temperature rise.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!