What's new

Low speeds on access point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

egclassic

New Around Here
Hello,

I am having issues with low speeds on the router I have setup in AP mode.

Here is my current setup:

Fiber to the Home connection 500 mbps up /130 mbps down

1. Main router Asus GS-AX3000) on 1st floor in Office.

2. AP router (Archer AX1800) set to AP mode in basement.

3. Ethernet cable (Cat 5e) connected to LAN port of main router and connected to WAN port on AP router.

4. Both routers have different SSID's and each has both bands enabled.

5. On AP, 2.4 Ghz band set to 40Mhz and 5Ghz band set to 80 Mhz

6. Channel interference is minimal, quite a bit of distance between houses where I live.

For speed tests, I am using both a laptop (connected wirelessly) using Fast.com and my Android phone using an App called NetSpot.

When connected to the main router's 5 Ghz WiFi, I get full speed that I am paying for down and up.

When I connect to the AP's 5 Ghz WiFi, I am maxing out at 100 mbps.

Weird thing is, when I look at the Wifi connection on my phone, it says connected at 720 mbps, but only reaches 100 mbps during speed test.

The AP's 2.4 Ghz connection is even worse, maybe 40-50 mbps.

These tests were all performed standing within 3-5 feet from the access point.

I followed TP Link's video for setting router into AP mode.

When I was using the Archer AX-1800 router as my main, I was getting the 500 down / 130 up also.

The LAN ports on the main router are listed as being Gigabit.

What am I missing?

TP-Link Archer AX1800 has AP Mode in GUI. Not sure what video you have followed and why it was necessary.

1673929762004.png

Your link speed has to be maximum at 3-5ft from the AP - 866Mbps for AC and 1200Mbps for AX client. Check your 5GHz wireless settings. Make sure you connect to the AP and not the router upstairs. Check your Ethernet cable again. Up to 100Mbps may indicate Fast Ethernet connection to the AP. Check your link speeds on 2.4GHz. 40-50Mbps on 2.4GHz may indicate 20MHz wide channel with some interference. Check your 2.4GHz wireless settings.

It was necessary because I didn't want to use the wrong ports, not an IT pro here.
Already set 2.4 channel to 40 Mhz manually, and the 5 Ghz to 80 Mhz, max for this router/AP.

Client connected to AP at a good rate but sub-par performance back through the router indicates to me the ethernet connection ain't quite right. At least that's the first thing to confirm.

My vote would be the cable. either not plugged in securely, dirty connectors or it's just bad.

Plug a PC in with the cable and test again. If it's not the cable dig deeper into the 2nd router config.

I didn't want to use the wrong ports

The picture above is from Archer AX1800 GUI. It shows the ports you need to use. Both routers set on 40MHz wide 2.4GHz channel will create local interference. There is no 40MHz wide channel on 2.4GHz with no overlap and it's not needed for what 2.4GHz band is mostly used for. This is unrelated to your main issue though - it's somewhere around cable connection between your router and the AP. Take the AP upstairs and test with a different cable. If it works as expected upstairs - check the cable connection to your basement.

Plug a PC in with the cable and test again. If it's not the cable dig deeper into the 2nd router config.

It's gotta be the cable/connectors. The "2nd router" is an AP as I recall, so out of the equation most likely - should be just puttin' to the air whatever it gets.

"2nd router" is an AP as I recall,
Maybe but, it's a router put into AP mode not an AP off the shelf.
AP router (Archer AX1800) set to AP mode in basement.
And it doesn't really matter if they're connected to the Archer and only getting 100mbps. There's a cable or port issue.

The clue is the 100mbps speed. Provided both ends are gigabit there's a fault in the cable or the ports on either end causing it to degrade to 100mbps. Not a WIFI issue.

My vote would be the cable. either not plugged in securely, dirty connectors or it's just bad.

I agree with you. I'm going to bring the AP upstairs, plug it into the router and see if that works. That will take the cable run out of the equation, and if it works, I'll pull a new cable downstairs. Thank you for the reply.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!