What's new

LRT214 DMZ & DHCP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

the-ninth

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I am just setting up a LRT214 for our community network.

We use NAT for our LAN, but also have a small range of public IP addresses, which I would like to use for a DMZ. There are some appliances in the DMZ to which I do not have full access, therefore it would be useful to use DHCP with IP & MAC binding for their configuration. However it seems that the LRT214 does not support DHCP for the DMZ.

I looked at using a second VLAN as DMZ instead of the DMZ port, however the LRT214 does not support enabling/disabling NAT per VLAN. So I cannot have one VLAN with NAT and internal IP addresses and another VLAN without NAT and public IP addresses.

The last idea that came to my mind was use a VLAN as DMZ with NAT and a range of One-to-One NAT mappings. Need to research this option a bit further.

What are your thoughts? Am I missing something obvious? How would you solve this?

Regards, Robert

It may simply not be doable with the Linksys firmware, but it should be with a more enterprise-level firewall distro / services router.

Presuming that's the case, I'd return or eBay the Linksys and replace with a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter, Mikrotik RB/CCR, pfSense box, or whatever enterprise routing platform you like best.

Hi,

It may simply not be doable with the Linksys firmware, but it should be with a more enterprise-level firewall distro / services router.

Unfortunately an enterprise-level device is not within our budget.

But I think I got it to work now, using a VLAN as DMZ. The WLAN has an internal subnet of the same size as our public subnet. IP addresses are mapped via the One-to-One NAT feature. It was needed to make the default VLAN the DMZ VLAN, because the One-to-One NAT only works with the default VLAN.

Regards, Robert