1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

LTE connected router?

Discussion in 'Wireless Buying Advice' started by Anders Thingholm, Aug 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Anders Thingholm

Anders Thingholm New Around Here

I'm in a bad wired connection area and are using 4G. But due to a change in vendor, I need to find my own router this time. I have two antennas on the roof to point toward nearest antenna that I should be able to connect. But most routers that have LTE/4G is fairly old. Or am I missing something?
    Any suggestions regarding which to choose and why?

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. Anders Thingholm

Hmmm.. That was a lot less answers than I expected

4. Internet Man

Internet Man Senior Member

I started researching cellular routers for a friend and pretty much just gave up since they are already using a cell phone as a hot spot and it's working. Since cell carriers differ so much by region or country there are different models available in different regions of the world.

Price levels vary drastically too. The cheapest option would probably be to use a USB cellular adapter plugged into a wireless router that supports USB cellular WAN. There are SOHO and enterprise class options too.

5. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

Cradlepoint used to be the source of choice...

They've pivoted their business as of late, but they still have some good offerings...

https://cradlepoint.com/

6. Anders Thingholm

So either looking for a good dongle that have connection to external antennas and a new router, pr somehting that cradlepoint can provide. Thanks.. have something to look into now :)

7. Trip

Trip Very Senior Member

Hi Anders - I'm assuming by your name that you might be in Europe? If so, these might not all be available in, or compatible with, your market. If you're shopping models with embedded modems, make sure to double-check compatibility with your broadband provider.

1) Peplink - Pepwave models have embedded modems. If you can get a USB modem and/or multi-WAN is of interest, then also look at the Balance series.
    2) CradlePoint - Still relevant, even if they have changed their business model somewhat.
    3) Accelerated - Similar to CradlePoint, newer to market, but supposedly excellent as well.
    4) Mikrotik - If your skills are up to it and a USB modem is an option. Note: their modem support can be iffy, depending on your market.

3GStore.com has a really nice showcase of Peplink, CradlePoint and Accelerated if you want to get an idea on pricing and features in the space.

Hope that helps!

sfx2000 likes this.
  8. Anders Thingholm

Thanks, Trip :).. I'm unsure if I should settle for something smaller until 5g products starts comming out. The LTE bandwith in my country isn't that good anyway

9. Trip

Trip Very Senior Member

Hi Anders. Regarding connectivity standards, I would just purchase based on what's available now, and let future speculation be just that. Too many variables at play to be able to "future proof", in this space especially.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!