What's new

LTE Modem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maghuro

Very Senior Member
Dear
I was using my lte sim card on an external modem, but as it couldn't work in bridge mode, I bought a lte USB modem and I'm using it now instead of the other one.
However, my speeds dropped from 40d/15u to 30d/2u.

The question is - how can I know if it's getting 4g or 3g network? Because I think it's using 3g network....
Is it possible to see it somehow?

Thanks In advance.

Dear
I was using my lte sim card on an external modem, but as it couldn't work in bridge mode, I bought a lte USB modem and I'm using it now instead of the other one.
However, my speeds dropped from 40d/15u to 30d/2u.

The question is - how can I know if it's getting 4g or 3g network? Because I think it's using 3g network....
Is it possible to see it somehow?

Thanks In advance.
30d would be way too much for 3g. Don't know what model or which port, but probably just usb speed limitation.

I'm using AC86U.
The problem isn't the download speed, but the upload. It dropped from 15 to 2 mbps.
If I'm having 30 mbps it means that USB supports at least 30mbps, so in theory the upload speed should go up.

My question is - how can I see if I'm getting 4g or 3g network connection?

I'm using AC86U.
The problem isn't the download speed, but the upload. It dropped from 15 to 2 mbps.
If I'm having 30 mbps it means that USB supports at least 30mbps, so in theory the upload speed should go up.

My question is - how can I see if I'm getting 4g or 3g network connection?
Hello,

First of all, if you don't reply directly to me, then I will hardly notice your reply (unless if I would subscribe to this thread, which I'm not ready to do), so please, reply to posts as much as you can.

Lot of questions, because you provide no information (we now know that you are using the ac86u, but not much more).
- What lte modem, and is it listed in the compatibilty chart?
- What fw version (I'm asking, because a long time ago, when I had an n66u, I had no hw accel with lte modem while using Merlin fw)
- Are you using any non-default usb related settings (like usb mode)?

I only used lte for a few weeks, and I don't know what could cripple the upload speed only, perhaps some people with more knowledge about this issue will notice your thread.

Last edited:
Hello,

First of all, if you don't reply directly to me, then I will hardly notice your reply (unless if I would subscribe to this thread, which I'm not ready to do), so please, reply to posts as much as you can.

Lot of questions, because you provide no information (we now know that you are using the ac86u, but not much more).
- What lte modem, and is it listed in the compatibilty chart?
- What fw version (I'm asking, because a long time ago, when I had an n66u, I had no hw accel with lte modem while using Merlin fw)
- Are you using any non-default usb related settings (like usb mode)?

I only used lte for a few weeks, and I don't know what could cripple the upload speed only, perhaps some people with more knowledge about this issue will notice your thread.
Hello!
I'm sorry, my mistake :) thanks for your interest, though!

It's an Huawei e3276s-150. I don't know the firmware version because, as I said, the router doesn't show any details of the dongle so I really don't know.
It is listed in the compatibility chart but as part of Taiwan country. Instead, I'm in Portugal and this USB modem is sold in Portugal as part of a local operator contract. So is fully compatible with Portuguese network.

I'm using a USB disk with swap memory and this dongle. However, I tried only the dongle but with the same results.
And yes, the only crippled speed is the upload. Because the download I only lost a couple of Mbps, not considerable value.

I only want to have some kind of debug of the USB dongle just to see if I'm connected to 4g, etc etc...

Thanks!

Reactions: ika
Hello!

It's an Huawei e3276s-150. I don't know the firmware version because, as I said, the router doesn't show any details of the dongle so I really don't know.
It is listed in the compatibility chart but as part of Taiwan country. Instead, I'm in Portugal and this USB modem is sold in Portugal as part of a local operator contract. So is fully compatible with Portuguese network.

I'm using a USB disk with swap memory and this dongle. However, I tried only the dongle but with the same results.
And yes, the only crippled speed is the upload. Because the download I only lost a couple of Mbps, not considerable value.

I only want to have some kind of debug of the USB dongle just to see if I'm connected to 4g, etc etc...

Thanks!
Thank you!

No worries, I was just letting you know that you were asking for help without providing enough info. I was curious about the fw version of the Merlin firmware you are using on the router, but I let others help you, who are more into this field. Good luck.

ui.: just my two cents, as I posted earlier: I don't think you could achieve 30m with 3g, so it's using 4g imho.

Noble regards,
ika

Hello!

Thanks!

You are using a LTE-modem which is either in Hilink or Non-Hilink mode.
If you can access the modem on the ip-address 192.168.8.1 it is in Hilink mode. In Hilink mode you can view if LTE is enabled or not. As @ika mentioned, it much likely is :).

If you can not access your LTE-modem, it is in Non-Hilink mode, and in this case in PPP mode (since you have a connection), which is a speed limited mode. In order to increase your speed you will need to use Ndis mode (another Non-Hilink mode), however that is not possible with Asus stock or Merlin firmware since firmware version 374.42 :(. Asus has never solved this and probably never will.
Read up on it here if interested.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/3-0-0-4-374-5656-fixes-3g-dongles-huawei.17001/

Ndis mode works in Fresh Tomato though, if that mode is important to you.

If you are ok with double NAT you should use Hilink mode which is much likely faster.

Keep in mind that your speed is dependent on your 4G-reception. So place the router on the best location.
You can check for the best 4G-reception via an android app called "signal notification" while walking around in your apartment.

Last edited:
You are using a LTE-modem which is either in Hilink or Non-Hilink mode.
If you can access the modem on the ip-address 192.168.8.1 it is in Hilink mode. In Hilink mode you can view if LTE is enabled or not. As @ika mentioned, it much likely is :).

If you can not access your LTE-modem, it is in Non-Hilink mode, and in this case in PPP mode (since you have a connection), which is a speed limited mode. In order to increase your speed you will need to use Ndis mode (another Non-Hilink mode), however that is not possible with Asus stock or Merlin firmware since firmware version 374.42 :(. Asus has never solved this and probably never will.
Read up on it here if interested.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/3-0-0-4-374-5656-fixes-3g-dongles-huawei.17001/

Ndis mode works in Fresh Tomato though, if that mode is important to you.

If you are ok with double NAT you should use Hilink mode which is much likely faster.

Keep in mind that your speed is dependent on your 4G-reception. So place the router on the best location.
You can check for the best 4G-reception via an android app called "signal notification" while walking around in your apartment.
Thank you sir for your detailed explanation.

It's not in Hilink Mode...
The problem is that i'm not OK with double NAT, that's why I'm using this LTE dongle.
If i was OK with double NAT, I was using another USB dongle (Hilink mode) that I have. The problem with that is the double nat - In that case, my Asus router will have an Wan 192.168.x.x IP address, and I need the ASUS router to have assigned an external IP (Non-hilink mode).

Why did ASUS stopped support for that Ndis mode?!

Do you know some kind of (cheap...) 4G modems that can share in some kind of bridge mode the connection to My Asus? So I can have a Modem passing a public IP address to my ASUS router, and avoid double-nat problem?

Thank you so much!

Thank you sir for your detailed explanation.

It's not in Hilink Mode...
The problem is that i'm not OK with double NAT, that's why I'm using this LTE dongle.
If i was OK with double NAT, I was using another USB dongle (Hilink mode) that I have. The problem with that is the double nat - In that case, my Asus router will have an Wan 192.168.x.x IP address, and I need the ASUS router to have assigned an external IP (Non-hilink mode).

Why did ASUS stopped support for that Ndis mode?!

Do you know some kind of (cheap...) 4G modems that can share in some kind of bridge mode the connection to My Asus? So I can have a Modem passing a public IP address to my ASUS router, and avoid double-nat problem?

Thank you so much!
Then you are using PPP-mode. Sorry, I do not know why Asus does not allow loading the NCM driver for Ndis mode :(.

You could try this solution with a dovado as a bridge.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/4g-dongle-that-passes-external-ip-to-router.38453/

For what reason do you need Non Hilink mode?

I am using a Netgear LB2120 LTE 4G Modem in bridge mode connected to an Asus RT-N66U router. This works very well but isn't particularly cheap. My telecomms provider (Three UK) provides me with a public IP address for no additional cost, so long as I have the correct APN setting on the modem. I can then use the DDNS client on the router to update my IP address at noip.com when it changes, so that I can access my network from elsewhere.