What's new

Lyra is abandonware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MaD HuNGaRIaN

Occasional Visitor
I bought the Lyra back when it first came out. It's been various levels of flakey since day 1, but at least they were popping out firmware bi-monthly. Now, it seems they don't even bother. Last update was Nov 2018. I know there are CVEs and other bugs as well (because I've reported them) regarding family controls, AiProtect among others. I'm really regretting this system at this point.

I bought the Lyra back when it first came out. It's been various levels of flakey since day 1, but at least they were popping out firmware bi-monthly. Now, it seems they don't even bother. Last update was Nov 2018. I know there are CVEs and other bugs as well (because I've reported them) regarding family controls, AiProtect among others. I'm really regretting this system at this point.
Check now! New FW today :)

I understand your remarks, but updates in general have been slow for Asus the past months.

I'm running an AC86u + 3 Lyra as an AiMesh (Access Point only). The firmware that came out today has been running for an hour now without issues :)

Yeah, the release notes from today:
- Improve WiFi stability
- Improve WiFi roaming under AiMesh mode
- Fix Ethernet backhaul issue under AiMesh mode

So, no mention of the litany of actual software / feature bugs that have been going on since product launch. #sad

Yeah, the release notes from today:
- Improve WiFi stability
- Improve WiFi roaming under AiMesh mode
- Fix Ethernet backhaul issue under AiMesh mode

So, no mention of the litany of actual software / feature bugs that have been going on since product launch. #sad

I purchased them when they just received the AiMesh firmware and started with that version. I agree they were very unstable when you turned them on, which somehow got better after 10 minutes. I configured the AiMesh to reboot every night to work around that. With the newer firmware for my AC86u they got more stable and I only rebooted weekly from then.

I'm only using them as Access Points so only using half the features here. I'll assume the issue you are having are mostly with the real router features. Maybe you could throw another Asus router in the mix and use them only as nodes.

Features I do miss:
- Ability to assign a device to one specific node (Roaming Block List prevents roaming but you can't choose the one it connects to).
- Ability to use VLAN or IPTV when using Wired backhaul

With todays firmware updates I noticed:
- No disconnects when rebooting the AiMesh
- My one Wireless connected node is now connected via 5 GHz. Before it would go to 2.4 GHz even though it's one floor directly above the AC86u :)

ASUS cannot decide whether to use the Qualcomm SON or the their proprietary AiMesh roaming protocol. Qualcomm SON is superior to AiMesh as it comes with AP steering, band steering and fast roaming support.

This resulted in a crippled product with terrible firmware and poor roaming performance and non-existent AP steering. It would've been a decent product if ASUS just stick to Qualcomm SON instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

It would've been a decent product if ASUS just stick to Qualcomm SON instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

The majority of Asus's products are Broadcom-based, so they can't rely just on Qualcomnm's technology.

The majority of Asus's products are Broadcom-based, so they can't rely just on Qualcomnm's technology.
While that make sense, the trade off would be limiting the full capabilities of the chipset.

It would be great if the Lyra exist as a separate lineup without AiMesh but powered by Qualcomm SON instead.

While that make sense, the trade off would be limiting the full capabilities of the chipset.

It would be great if the Lyra exist as a separate lineup without AiMesh but powered by Qualcomm SON instead.

Why not just find and buy the product that already has what you want.

OE

I am using one trio with an ac86u. The ac86u kept running out of memory over 3-6 days and then needing a NVRAM reset. ASUS RMA'd the ac86u. Since I cannot go without a network for the 7 days optimistic loss of a router, I bought a second Ac86u.

Well, that starts climbing memory too, but the scheduled reboot works without killing the NVRAM. since these issues all started with the single trio as an AiMesh, you don't have to think too hard what I'm going to use when the first AC86u is returned from ASUS, 'fixed'. I think at that time also I'll flip to ap mode and run Merlin's firmware.