What's new

Mac address cloning issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WuTang LAN

Regular Contributor
When I clone the mac address of my AC68u to the mac address of my ISP provided router, I lose all internet connection. However, if I change the last digit of the mac address I get a connection. Any idea why this happens?

try rebooting it
I don't know why I didn't think of that lol. Thanks, that did the trick! MAC address for my AC68u matches my ISP router perfectly now.

I'm surprised I had a connection for all of the time that the last digit wasn't matching. I'm guessing the last digit isn't too important?

Just to note, that won't work in all cases. The fact that is does is rather odd. The CMTS will see two devices with the same MAC address, and in most cases will probably not assign a WAN IP address to the router due to the identical MAC address. That will vary, depending on the ISP. It definitely won't work for Rogers Communications and their CASA systems CMTS equipment.

I don't know why I didn't think of that lol. Thanks, that did the trick! MAC address for my AC68u matches my ISP router perfectly now.

I'm surprised I had a connection for all of the time that the last digit wasn't matching. I'm guessing the last digit isn't too important?
It most likely will reset the lease and the isp system will detect the device as Thier own, im with Optus in Australia on a VDSL 2 connection, only way for VoIP to register is with a mac clone.

The CMTS will see two devices with the same MAC address, and in most cases will probably not assign a WAN IP address to the router due to the identical MAC address.
Even if you're only using one of the devices?

The real question here is what does WuTang Lan mean by the term " ISP provided router ", a modem, gateway modem or router. There are three scenarios that we might be discussing:

1. We're discussing the modem, which in this case is a modem only, with a router behind it:
2. We're discussing a modem which is a gateway modem, running in Bridge mode with a router behind it;
3. We're discussing an ISP supplied router, replaced by an RT-AC68U.

I've seen modem's called all manners of routers in various posts, so, my automatic thinking was that this was a discussion about a modem, where the 68U where it was was using a cloned MAC address (from the modem), which won't work for a number of ISPs. I'm guessing now that we're discussing scenario three, where the ISP router was replaced by the 68U. I don't believe that ISP supplied routers are very common these days. Am I wrong?

Out of curiosity WuTang Lan, whats your network configuration and modem model? I'm assuming that its:

modem ---> Router ---> LAN devices
(modem ---> Wifi Devices
only)

I'm guessing now that we're discussing scenario three, where the ISP router was replaced by the 68U.
Correct.

I don't believe that ISP supplied routers are very common these days. Am I wrong?
They're very common in the UK. Here it's standard practice for ISPs to ship routers to new customers.

Out of curiosity WuTang Lan, whats your network configuration and modem model? I'm assuming that its:

modem ---> Router ---> LAN devices
Correct again.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!