What's new

Mac filter not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Weggy

Regular Contributor
Hi, is anyone else finding that the Mac filter isn't working. I've added three devices and set the mode to reject and they still appear to have access. Is this a known issue?

Are they connecting directly to the main router or do you have additional access points in your network that might be masking the MAC addresses?

Did you disconnect the devices or reboot the router after you added them?

Are they connecting directly to the main router or do you have additional access points in your network that might be masking the MAC addresses?
Ar, I do have a power over ethernet device which has wireless built in they could be connecting through.

No I've not done this. I can give it a go.
When you say disconnect what exactly do you mean? As I can thinking of many different ways of doing this, but is there a specfic method i need to deploy?

When you say disconnect what exactly do you mean? As I can thinking of many different ways of doing this, but is there a specfic method i need to deploy?

Any method that forces them off the router and then needs to be given a new DHCP lease when they try to reconnect.

Some methods that should work:
  • Walk away with the devices (far off the property) if possible.
  • Reboot (or better, shut down and then wait at least 5 minutes) the router to force every client to re-associate again.
  • Turn off the device (or, reboot it).
  • Forget the network on the client device.
  • Reset the network settings on the client device.
Yes, there are many ways. Which ones are you thinking of using? Do you have control of the devices (or not)?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!