What's new

Made a quad band router for cheap.....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jsmiddleton4

Very Senior Member
Wanted to try it first.

I have a decent router, have two actually. Netgear R7800 and an Asus RT-86U. Not sure where I should post this as a result.

Both have plenty of muscle. Wanted to add a dedicated 5GHZ channel as office on far side of house needed stable fast network/internet access and I didn't want to drop a cable, cost, hassle, slopped ceiling, etc.

Set the two routers up, Asus in Media Mode. Worked well enough. Worked very well actually. But the 5ghz band getting crowded with family use, entertainment center use, and now a Media Mode router hanging off it too.

Buying a new three band router, one band dedicated to my office media mode router, while what I was looking for pricey. The performance was more than acceptable with the dual bands.

Poking around saw several wifi extenders with at least one LAN port, not all of them have a LAN port, which can be used to set the extender into AP mode. The Netgear EX7300 was on sale on Amazon so picked it up for not much. I was maxing out the radios in both of my routers at its performance level and while they're are faster wifi extenders, they are also more expensive.

Set it up just now. Works great. My Asus in Media Mode talking to its 5ghz as the only client. You can see my speeds. They are jaw dropping faster, they are faster, but all my web sites, data flow over my network noticeably snappier.

I now have a quad band R7800..... :)

This is my MACBOOK hung on the ASUS RT-86U in Media Mode talking to the Netgear 7300 extender in AP mode which is connected to a LAN port on the Netgear R7800.

I haven't played with any settings yet either.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 4.37.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 4.37.04 PM.png
    170 KB · Views: 272
Sorry but you're wrong. Same frequency channels is not having all the traffic on the same band.

And you're wrong about Media mode.

Take it or leave it. I have four separate radios so bandwidth on each is more user friendly and did so for very little money.

How much of a sale did you see on that EX7300? They seem as expensive as a very good router here.

No, you don't. You have a dual-band router + dual-band access point. They work on the same bands.
It depends whose on your definition of "band" you're using. As a radio amateur I would call 2.4 GHz one band and 5 GHz another band. However, the marketers of wireless routers call a wireless access point a band :rolleyes:. Hence the Asus RT-AC3200 is marketed as "tri-band" even though it only works on 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. So the OP is as correct as Asus' marketing people are. :D

P.S. I'm surprised they haven't tried passing off guest SSID's as "extras bands". In which case my RT-AC68U is octo-band.

In which case my RT-AC68U is octo-band.

Oh, I'm sure that thing is coming soon. Just let 3X faster MU-MIMO statement wear out a bit.

Colin, you know networking. Tell me how to activate Triple-WAN on my RT-AC86U.
Need to fill that AC2900 somehow and the fastest ISP offering around is up to Gigabit. :confused:

It depends whose on your definition of "band" you're using. As a radio amateur I would call 2.4 GHz one band and 5 GHz another band. However, the marketers of wireless routers call a wireless access point a band :rolleyes:. Hence the Asus RT-AC3200 is marketed as "tri-band" even though it only works on 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. So the OP is as correct as Asus' marketing people are. :D

P.S. I'm surprised they haven't tried passing off guest SSID's as "extras bands". In which case my RT-AC68U is octo-band.
I think most manufacturers of tri-band equipment for North America consider the low (36-48) and high (149-165) 5 GHz bands to be separate "bands." If there are two 5 GHz radios, one must use the high band while the other uses the low band. If DFS channels are supported then there are more options to avoid self-interference. The three radios would be operating in three separate "bands" though.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!