What's new

Making all traffic from a device Highest priority with QoS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ka Hooli

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I have a 100mbps/40mbps Fiber connection, and with it our ISP has provided an IPTV Set-Top (aka FetchTV) box for some Pay TV channels.

Under my previous router (Linksys E3000 with DD-WRT), I was able to make all traffic for a particular device a higher priority by using its MAC address.

I now have an Asus RT-AC66U with AsusWRT-Merlin 3.0.0.4.372.31 on it. I think I have set it up right, but wanted to confirm. So I have gone to Traffic Manager - QoS - User-defined QoS rules, and set it up like this...
QoS-MAC.png

The problem I am having is that my IPTV intermittently pauses for a second, so before I go back to my ISP, I just wanted to check that I have set my router up ok. When only watching one channel, it should only use 2mbps, but can use up to 6mbps when watching one channel, and recording two others. This is still a lot less then my 100mbps. Also, if it helps, all equipment around my TV is connected to a Cisco SG 100D-8 switch which is then connected to my router. All Cabling is pre-made Cat 6 cabling. The switch supports Jumbo Frames, should I also enable Jumbo Frames under LAN - Switch Control?

In order to support jumbo frame, yes every device in the chain needs to have it enabled.

The QOS looks correct to me, but bear in mind enabling QOS will disable hardware acceleration that reduces the LAN/WAN throughput.

Also from what I recall reading on the ASUS page, QOS is only really active on outbound traffic, so taking these last 2 points into account - I would initially disable QOS, and re-run your test to see if it had any impact enabled/disabled.

Edit: Here's the link I mentioned
http://support.asus.com/Search/KDetail.aspx?SLanguage=en&no=A96BF68D-98C9-9D26-129A-3D5E596D3073&t=2