What's new

Malwarebytes releases new VPN service for Windows

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
Malwarebytes releases new VPN service for Windows which I think this may be a good thing. By running VPN on the device you take the load off the router put it on the VPN user. As far as getting on the network you can use a remote control on the VPN device. This is the way it is done on big networks. What do you guys think?

At least you have someone that will maintain the code and make sure it works. I think it is based on WireGuard VPN . Malwarebytes plans on offering Mac, iOS, Android, and ChromeOS versions in the future.

By running VPN on the device you take the load off the router put it on the VPN user.
True...there are trade-offs here for sure. Doing client-based may help performance since quite often your clients have more CPU behind them as well as they can still use the VPN when not at home. However this also means you have to maintain the VPN on many clients instead of one device. And this also assumes there is a VPN client for required platforms. All a matter of trade-offs that have to be evaluated depending upon one's needs.

As far as getting on the network you can use a remote control on the VPN device. This is the way it is done on big networks.
Not following your statements and question here? What do you mean remote control to get on the network?

Overall, not sure what they bring to party over any of the other 238,000 VPN offerings out there? Maybe just a more well known security name? But pretty sure this is really no different from NordVPN, KeepSolid VPN, StrongVPN, etc.

I meant remote take over of a Windows PC or like.

Back when I worked we used Cisco VPN. It worked well. We paid for it and it was not cheap but it worked and you had someone to call if there were issues.

That has nothing to do with the VPN in use. This is all client based VPN which generally doesn't take into account remote access features. If you are using a commercial 3rd party client-based VPN service, this does not grant you remote access to your home network. It gets you an encrypted connection to that 3rd party data center provider for Internet egress.

If you want to get remote access into your network...that "usually" requires a slightly different VPN configuration.

That has nothing to do with the VPN in use. This is all client based VPN which generally doesn't take into account remote access features. If you are using a commercial 3rd party client-based VPN service, this does not grant you remote access to your home network. It gets you an encrypted connection to that 3rd party data center provider for Internet egress.

If you want to get remote access into your network...that "usually" requires a slightly different VPN configuration.

I read headlines and was thinking old school.