What's new

Managed PoE switch recommendation please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stroper

Occasional Visitor
Hello there!

I've fiber modem connected to GT-AXE11000 router on 2.5G port. I would like to have a PoE switch so that I can connect some network devices capable of running on PoE power. I never used PoE switches before and would like to get some advise/suggestions on entry or intermediatary level PoE switches to get started. I have a plan to get some Nas devices in coming months so a good switch is a big addition to my requirement.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated
Thanks!

I have used Netgear switches for over ten years with no issues. including their PoE versions. I think I have the GS now. No expert, just a self-taught user and tinkerer!

You can also use any of the power injectors available so long as the have enough power for the device. Then get the managed switch of your choice.

You can also use any of the power injectors available so long as the have enough power for the device. Then get the managed switch of your choice.
On a cost per port basis, isn't that a lot more expensive? You can get poe switches so cheap nowadays, it's hard to figure out the real benefits. Even the Netgears, TP-Links, etc. are a bit more expensive than the other brands but you can get some of their series with lifetime warranty, where as the injectors don't. I had a similar question but I didn't get hard sells either way.

I have a good managed switch as my main switch so to me, these cheap poe switches (to mainly power poe devices) was questionable whether I was downgrading the data side and whether I could notice it or not. So what I decided was to get a multiport poe injector to keep the data with my main switch. I guess I was asking a rhetorical question on my first sentence because I myself still paid more than the really cheap poe switches.

I see several advantages using a POE switch over an injector. First of all, you do not need a mains plug so your flexibility for the location to install an AP for example is much larger. Secondly, as in my case, i have the switch on an APC UPS which means that if power goes down for whatever reason, the AP's stay up and don't need to reboot and startup after the mains is up again. Maybe not big things, but they do make life easier.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!