What's new

Manual, documentation for CLI interface to ASUS routers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Piero Brewer

Occasional Visitor
Is there any documentation for the CLI? I just finished resolving a problem with accessing the web based interface but would prefer the CLI, bash, its scriptability and flexibility. Is there any resource associated with Merlin ASUSwrt for this? Thanks in advance!

Is there any documentation for the CLI? I just finished resolving a problem with accessing the web based interface but would prefer the CLI, bash, its scriptability and flexibility. Is there any resource associated with Merlin ASUSwrt for this? Thanks in advance!

It’s really just Linux so maybe start with tutorials for that.

There's nothing specifically for the CLI, but it's largely a standard busybox/linux environment so most generic documentation is applicable.

For Merlin-specific information there is the wiki.

It’s really just Linux so maybe start with tutorials for that.
It's very different from most Linux-es ... definitely different from CentOS. At least when it comes to making persistent changes ... what command does that? Is there a file to edit? Most of the commands only work until the router is rebooted. Then? There's the Trend Micro security changes ...

You're right that it's not like a Linux distribution (like Centos) but it's fairly typical of an embedded Linux (like OpenWRT, DD-WRT, etc).

One thing you might try, if there was a specific area you were interested is to use an external search engine including the word “code”, because the commands you’re looking for are contained in a section marked “code”. So if you are looking for commands related to nvram, the search terms would be:

asus merlin forum code nvram

and if it was commands for say rebooting, you’d change nvram for reboot

You can also try the forum’s internal search engine, which should bring up results sorted chronologically. I used the terms code and nvram and got results, but sometimes it will object to just a couple of search keywords.

Set aside a lot of time and have a big notepad handy.