What's new

Manually Assigned IP Address Entry Not Working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DaveK

New Around Here
I have a number of static devices on my home network. However, after entering the information and rebooting one specific device, it still picks up one of the dynamic IP addresses from the dynamic range.

I have attached two files -- one is the DNS Configured and the other is the DNS Served by the router.

Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• DNS Configured.png
    DNS Configured.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 218
  • DNS Received.png
    DNS Received.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 208
Sometimes rebooting isn't sufficient because the device is making those DHCP leases persistent across the reboot (beit the router or the client). If possible, it's best to explicitly "release" the DHCP lease at the client (e.g., using ipconfig under Windows). A subsequent attempt to obtain a new lease should work.

Sometimes rebooting isn't sufficient because the device is making those DHCP leases persistent across the reboot (beit the router or the client). If possible, it's best to explicitly "release" the DHCP lease at the client (e.g., using ipconfig under Windows). A subsequent attempt to obtain a new lease should work.

Agree, This. Experienced it many times as I've added things to my network, using stock and Merlin FW (I use the fact that anything is in the DHCP range, is that my kids are adding something) Either ipconfig /release (and then /Renew), or just wait for lease to expire.

Last edited:
D'oh, did not even think about releasing the lease -- good point! This is a Raspberry Pi, so I will look up the command, do the release and restart it. Maybe that will do the trick.

D'oh, did not even think about releasing the lease -- good point! This is a Raspberry Pi, so I will look up the command, do the release and restart it. Maybe that will do the trick.

PiHole needs a static IP for it to work properly...

If one has an old static DHCP reservation - manage it there, and align it with the PiHole setup...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!