What's new

Manually Assigned IP List Gone After Reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

giant25

Occasional Visitor
I have an RT-AC86u running latest stock 3.0.0.4.384_32797. Every time the router is rebooted, the "Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list" (LAN-->DHCP Server tab) gets blown away. This was also the case in the previous firmware. Is anyone else having this issue? Thanks.

I have an RT-AC86u running latest stock 3.0.0.4.384_32797. Every time the router is rebooted, the "Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list" (LAN-->DHCP Server tab) gets blown away. This was also the case in the previous firmware. Is anyone else having this issue? Thanks.

I assume you have set aside a pool of IPs from DHCP for manual assignment.

I did not have this issue with previous firmware, and I have stopped assignments until ASUS fixes some things. I'm holding on 21140.

OE

I assume you have set aside a pool of IPs from DHCP for manual assignment.

I did not have this issue with previous firmware, and I have stopped assignments until ASUS fixes some things. I'm holding on 21140.

OE
Yes, I have a bunch of devices within my network that I've entered into this list. I've been doing this they same way since my old RT-N66u. It seems like a recent issue, but I did notice it on 21140 as well.

Yes, I have a bunch of devices within my network that I've entered into this list. I've been doing this they same way since my old RT-N66u. It seems like a recent issue, but I did notice it on 21140 as well.

So, my DHCP starts at 192.168.1.100... I assigned IP .11 and rebooted from the GUI. The assignment remains.

Are you resetting after you upgrade the firmware?

OE

So, my DHCP starts at 192.168.1.100... I assigned IP .11 and rebooted from the GUI. The assignment remains.

Are you resetting after you upgrade the firmware?

OE
Thanks for checking. My DHCP goes from .2 to .150. I manually assigned .200, Applied, then rebooted. It's gone. I'll try a full factory reset next since it's not reproducible for you.

Thanks for checking. My DHCP goes from .2 to .150. I manually assigned .200, Applied, then rebooted. It's gone. I'll try a full factory reset next since it's not reproducible for you.
Be sure to click "Apply" at the bottom after adding one or more manual IPs ("+"). Do not reboot or go to any other screen until you Apply.
I sometimes forget and go to the Client List and then headslap after it gets lost. :( Just to be safe, now I hit Apply after every "+". Inconvenient, but it beats having to re-do it later.

Be sure to click "Apply" at the bottom after adding one or more manual IPs ("+"). Do not reboot or go to any other screen until you Apply.
I sometimes forget and go to the Client List and then headslap after it gets lost. :( Just to be safe, now I hit Apply after every "+". Inconvenient, but it beats having to re-do it later.
Yes, thanks for mentioning that. I do hit apply. Not only that, I've logged out and back in, listings are still there. It's only after the reboot that they disappear.

Yes, thanks for mentioning that. I do hit apply. Not only that, I've logged out and back in, listings are still there. It's only after the reboot that they disappear.
OK, just a guess. I'd do a config save after spending time editing. I wonder if NVRAM is getting full. So one test would be to save the settings, then do a factory reset try adding some manual DHCP assignments. If it works, you've got your answer. Otherwise reload your last backup and you're back to you were.

Could move DHCP IP pool up to say .100-.254, and assign manually from .2-.99 and see what happens.

Initialize will clear everything.

OE

Just an update. Changing DHCP IP pools around like Ozark suggested didn't resolve the issue. Updated to 32799 firmware, no change. Full factory reset and the problem has gone away. I rebuilt my config by hand and did not restore any settings. My manual IP assignments now survive a reboot as they should. Thanks everyone for your help.

Just an update. Changing DHCP IP pools around like Ozark suggested didn't resolve the issue. Updated to 32799 firmware, no change. Full factory reset and the problem has gone away. I rebuilt my config by hand and did not restore any settings. My manual IP assignments now survive a reboot as they should. Thanks everyone for your help.

In my defense, resetting after firmware upgrade was my first suggestion. :)

OE

Well, dang. My Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP List got wiped out after a reboot again. I'm on the latest 32799 firmware and have already performed a factory reset. Anyone else seen this yet? Do I need to do more than a factory reset from the GUI?

Check how much nvram you have free. Over SSH:

Code:
nvram show

Most likely cause is you are running out of space.

When running nvram show, I see size 54317 bytes (76755 left). Thoughts?

That's plenty enough, so your issue must be elsewhere.

That's plenty enough, so your issue must be elsewhere.

I exported nvram to a txt file and did a grep for the MAC addresses that are manually assigned. I found "dhcp_staticlist=..." with 4 entries. I only have 2 of these entries in the Manually assigned table. The other 2 are older assignments. Also, after reboot, the table in the GUI is gone, but these 4 entries remain in nvram. Any idea on what else I can dig into, parameters I can check/reset, or otherwise?

I exported nvram to a txt file and did a grep for the MAC addresses that are manually assigned. I found "dhcp_staticlist=..." with 4 entries. I only have 2 of these entries in the Manually assigned table. The other 2 are older assignments. Also, after reboot, the table in the GUI is gone, but these 4 entries remain in nvram. Any idea on what else I can dig into, parameters I can check/reset, or otherwise?

Try clearing it, in case it's corrupted:

Code:
nvram set dhcp_staticlist=""
nvram commit

Also disable any browser add-ons, as some of these will interfere with the page's DOM, preventing settings from properly being handled.

Try clearing it, in case it's corrupted:

Code:
nvram set dhcp_staticlist=""
nvram commit

Also disable any browser add-ons, as some of these will interfere with the page's DOM, preventing settings from properly being handled.
Thanks for your help so far. After I run the nvram set and commit, it appears that those 4 entries are still set in the dhcp_staticlist parameter. Also, if I assign a new (never before assigned) MAC/IP bind, that MAC never makes it into this parameter. Any other thoughts short of a full clear?