What's new

Maximize range for Asus RT-AX88U 2.4

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Harry Johnson

New Around Here
I'd like some suggestions on settings and preferred FW to maximize range for the 2.4GHz speed. Other than the obvious choice of looking for the least crowded channel I'd like to know if there's anything I'm missing, or if I should be using an older firmware (I read about some FW issues).

Thanks in advance.

You may also need to tell us about your clients and your physical environment to help with your question(s).

If you are interested mostly in range, physically set up the router in the center of the area to be covered, at least 10' above ground level and with the antennae pointing straight up (all of them), you want at least 3' clearance all around the antennae/router in all directions (including the ceiling and side walls).

You also need to be on 20MHz channel bandwidth and test each (fixed, not auto) channel (1, 6 or 11) to see which gives you the greatest range (only one channel will be fully optimized for the radios/transmitters and the antennae/electronics your router was shipped with) in your environment.

To ensure you properly set this up; you need to use new SSID's too. The link below explains why.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/i...-ax88u-rt-ac86u-node.60551/page-2#post-532915

While I would also recommend a full M&M Config (if not a full Nuclear Setup) to make sure you are working from a good/known state with your router, the above hints may be all that is needed (for a start) to get you the maximum range possible.

Since you have the RT-AX88U, I would not recommend any previous versions than the latest (RMerlin alpha... currently) available. With hardware this new, the changes and improvements are too much to ignore for (possibly) slightly more range.

Take care of the core requirements above first. It may be all that is needed. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!