What's new

Maximum DHCP Lease Time?

EventPhotoMan

Very Senior Member
Update:

so the largest lease I could get out of my ASUS etc-ac86u was 100 days less one second.

what I also noticed not all client can handle a lease that long. My Wemo devices take on a strange new lease amount after being given a lease.

after changing it back to a one day lease, the router is displaying the leased Tim correctly.

any thoughts?

I was thinking that my Wemo devices are limited with the number of bits to store the lease. Hense it is show ing a much smaller time.

EventPhotoMan

Very Senior Member
Update:

so the largest lease I could get out of my ASUS etc-ac86u was 100 days less one second.

what I also noticed not all client can handle a lease that long. My Wemo devices take on a strange new lease amount after being given a lease.

after changing it back to a one day lease, the router is displaying the leased Tim correctly.

any thoughts?

I was thinking that my Wemo devices are limited with the number of bits to store the lease. Hense it is show ing a much smaller time.

EventPhotoMan

Very Senior Member
Here is another situation I observed.
With static IP addresses, and lease times set too 100 dates (less one second), I assumed that my clients would start to asks for a lease renewal At half lease time.

less internet traffic, less lease renewals (trying to keep my Lifx bulbs online longer) leasing issues.

I’m finding the leases are getting renewed frequently, like 1-2 days into the 100 day lease.

Can anyone explain this?

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
How are you determining that is the maximum value? If you're simply looking at System Log - DHCP leases then that is just a display issue on that page. Any "days" greater than 99 will be truncated to two digits.

EventPhotoMan

Very Senior Member
How are you determining that is the maximum value? If you're simply looking at System Log - DHCP leases then that is just a display issue on that page. Any "days" greater than 99 will be truncated to two digits.
So them what is the maximum?

it does not really matter anyways as the client still ask for a lease renew, all the time. Documents on line say it suppose to start asking at half life, but that is not true.

john9527

Part of the Furniture
I’m finding the leases are getting renewed frequently, like 1-2 days into the 100 day lease.

Can anyone explain this?
If these are wireless clients, the lease will renew any time the wireless is disconnected/drops.

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
So them what is the maximum?
I answered that question the first time you asked it in post #19.

it does not really matter anyways as the client still ask for a lease renew, all the time. Documents on line say it suppose to start asking at half life, but that is not true.
Indeed, it depends entirely on what the client wants to do. For example I can issue a lease of 30 years to a Windows 7 PC but the maximum lease expiry time it can hold is epoch date plus $7FFFFFFF which is 19th January 2038. And as John pointed out it's unlikely the client is going to be connected that long anyway.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!