What's new

Maximum # of MACs to filter by

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

opie

New Around Here
Hello,

We are using the 3.0.0.4_374.33_0 (Oct 3rd, 2013) build and want to use this router to limit the users on our Wifi network to only those who have contributed to support the cost of the service at our office.

Question 1)
Is there a maximum # of MAC addresses that can be supported in the filter lis. With many people now having 2-3 devices each, and a staff of nearly 70 I could foresee needing a maximum of 180 devices per interface to be in the approve MAC address list.

Question 2)
Is there a way to do away with having to maintain two different MAC lists per radio (2.4 and 5.0Ghz). I noticed that two different NVRAM variables track by the wl0 and wl1 interfaces. I used a little command line hackery to set the 5.0 variables to the same as the 2.4.

Question 3)
Is there perhaps a better way of restricting users (we already have a WPA2 password set - but this can be easily shared). I don't really want to go the way of a login page backended by Radius or something similar.

Thanks,

Owen

You are going to spend a lot of time trying to restrict users and if they will share passwords with non users why do you think they won't share MAC addreses?

If a non contributor is given or learns the MAC address of a contributor then they can very quickly and easily change their MAC address to a permitted address.

If a user has administrative permissions for their device there is very little you can do to prevent them from accessing your network.