What's new

Maximum OpenVPN throughout

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gamesbrainiac

Occasional Visitor
Hi there guys!

I have always found this forum to be supremely useful when it came to finding a router. I've read a lot of posts routers that have good support for VPN, especially about the Asus RT-86U. However, I wanted to gain a better understanding of what routers had fast and reliable clients for OpenVPN.

Furthermore, what are the factors that affect OpenVPN performance. From what I've learned is that it is mostly CPU bound, but I'd also like to know if RAM is an important factor.

Furthermore, I'm looking for a router that can support up to (a theoretical maximum) 150Mbps downstream on OpenVPN.

I have a maximum budget of $450. I currently have the ASUS RT-87U, which has a maximum throughput of 30Mbps using 128-CBC with LZO using ExpressVPN.

If you really wan't the best VPN performance than a x86 based Qotom pFsense box would be the best bet, those cost like $150-200. Make sure its the newer AES-NI supporting CPUs as the next pFsense version requires that. Coming to more consumer oriented devices the AC86U or GT5300AC are probably your best bet as they have good hardware crypto engines. Clock for clock the ARM Cortex A9 based CPU in the 87U is actually slightly more powerful (2.5 dmips/Mhz) than the newer A53 CPU (2.3 dmips/Mhz) but the newer A53 based routers like the 86U have hardware crypto which is what makes them so much better at VPN.

I heartily concur with this recommendation for an x86 system. Consider refurbished business-class desktops.
After blowing time researching the various ARM consumer routers, I picked up a Lenovo SFF i5 8GB-ECC system for <$200. Although it's bigger than the Qotoms, it can fit a couple regular drives, has an internal power supply, and, because it's business-class is near-silent. I did have to drop for an additional NIC card, but its AES-NI and VTx extensions will make it good for years as an overpowered firewall and home server.

If you really wan't the best VPN performance than a x86 based Qotom pFsense box would be the best bet, those cost like $150-200. Make sure its the newer AES-NI supporting CPUs as the next pFsense version requires that.