What's new

may need a new router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I would recommend netgear as its has the max WAN to lan throughput. Try any one of these 7000p, R8000p or X4s./x8

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

I would recommend netgear as its has the max WAN to lan throughput.

Unless you have gigabit Ethernet, this will make absolutely no difference. And even then - I've seen Asus router owners able to get the full 940 Mbps out of their router. So that's probably the last criteria of selection one would look for.

We'd need more details as to the OP's needs to advise him.

I've seen Asus router owners able to get the full 940 Mbps out of their router.

Yes! AC-68U:

LANtransfer.png

Thats peak not steady. I would get steady stream of data transfer

Thats peak not steady.

My example showed a peak because the external disk would not accept data any faster. The router can do that speed indefinitely.

Oh its local speed transfer

We are talking about internet speed

And LAN to LAN transfer will be the same speed on all of these routers, since the traffic is just switched, not routed. And the R7000 uses the exact same switch as the Asus equivalent models - BCM5301x.

So basically....the OP needs to provide more details on what their specific goals are to get any kind of useful recommendation.

I keep hearing get the 68 well the 68 is getting old although still supported i would move to something more modern and robust.

I am one of the "68" fans. "Robustness" (whatever that is?) has not been an issue, nor has modernity. Mine does everything I ask of it, including providing 135Mbps downloads and covering most of a large 115-year-old house.

Best Asus for a gigabit network?

None.... and that goes for most consumer Router/AP's these days. Even the AC-Whatever class - as they've been focused on running up the wireless numbers - the routing performance has been same, or similar...

It's not a SW thing - e.g. AsusWRT or the forks - with NAT and all, gigabit is a challenge, and it's a challenge for all devices on the same platform.

QCA and Marvell - with a gigabit broadband connection - they do a bit better.. but they still struggle to be honest.

Intel on pfSense - depends on the CPU, and there, folks will quote PPS, but seriously, that's a copout as well... as a pfSense user, I won't go there - 500Mbps, maybe, but Gigabit... nope.

Same goes with uTik/UBNT - yes, one can hit numbers, but at a serious cost...

It's not just about a single client doing something on speedtest dot net or dslreports dot com for a single client test - it's about supporting many clients... (btw, that's where the marvell platform starts to get interesting...)

None.... and that goes for most consumer Router/AP's these days. Even the AC-Whatever class - as they've been focused on running up the wireless numbers - the routing performance has been same, or similar...

To get back to the OP's point that depends on a "gigabit network" is. An RT-AC68 can easily handle WIRED gigabit speeds. And there is little need for Wi-Fi speeds greater than the incoming connection from the ISP.

I have a connection rated at 100Mbps that delivers 135Mbps (thank you, Charter!). With an AC68 for the main router on the 2nd floor, an N66 as an access point on the 1st floor, and an EA-N66 working out in the garage as a repeater; and three people doing different network tasks including video streaming at the same time, we have no bandwidth issues.

To get back to the OP's point that depends on a "gigabit network" is. An RT-AC68 can easily handle WIRED gigabit speeds. And there is little need for Wi-Fi speeds greater than the incoming connection from the ISP.

I have a connection rated at 100Mbps that delivers 135Mbps (thank you, Charter!). With an AC68 for the main router on the 2nd floor, an N66 as an access point on the 1st floor, and an EA-N66 working out in the garage as a repeater; and three people doing different network tasks including video streaming at the same time, we have no bandwidth issues.

I'm speaking about a Gigabit WAN connection... the AC68U isn't gonna happen there. It's a good device, but it's not up to handling a gigabit WAN...

A simple unmanaged switch can handle LAN traffic at a gigabit...

Intel on pfSense - depends on the CPU, and there, folks will quote PPS, but seriously, that's a copout as well... as a pfSense user, I won't go there - 500Mbps, maybe, but Gigabit... nope.
I have been able to get 900Mbps+ downloads on my pfSense install running on an E4600 @ 2.4GHz with Intel PRO/1000 cards. This was done via multiple large downloads across 2-3 systems to peg it out.

Now will this box scale to 100 users at 900Mbps? No idea...this is at my house, so rarely more than 5 concurrent users using less than 50Mbps of bandwidth 99% of the time.

I'm speaking about a Gigabit WAN connection
I am quite aware that you are, and of the distinction between the way the wired and wireless connection operate. But PaperFriend has not told us whether his "gigabit network" means his own LAN is gigabit, or the ISP's feed into his house. I took "gigabit network" to mean his LAN, not a "gigabit Internet service."

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!