1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC88U

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by maylyn, Oct 10, 2015.

1. maylyn

maylyn Regular Contributor

ASUS has unveiled their first high end 8-port next generation flagship router targeting gamers and enthusiasts. The ASUS RT-AC88U

ASUS RT-AC88U

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Specs as follows

[​IMG]

Currently it's still under embargo and testing tuning phase, so performance review and indicators will not be reveal but performance are really looking excellent from our internal testings :D

I will doing a comprehensive review on the ASUS RT-AC88U when I'm allow to post and i will only mention what is being allowed for the time being.

RMerlin's firmware will compatible with the ASUS RT-AC88U as well.

Availability ~ Late Q4 2015/Q1 2016 (ASUS SG will announce it in due time).

Image Credits ~ www.cnet.com

RTN and L&LD like this.
  2. maylyn

3. maylyn

~ Teaser ~

[​IMG]

4. mattiL

mattiL Regular Contributor

I wonder if we get a free upgrade to this router if we have an RT-AC87? ;)

Darcy and pege63 like this.
  5. faur

faur Regular Contributor

I wonder when it will be available in Europe...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

6. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

This has been my primary router at home for about three weeks now, and I've had Asuswrt-Merlin running on it for nearly a month. Asuswrt-Merlin will be supported right at launch time (thanks to Asus providing me with an advanced sample for development purposes).

I can't provide benchmarks or technical details yet beyond what is already published by CNet, but what I can say is the wireless and USB performances are both quite impressive.

7. maylyn

8. Trentors

Trentors Regular Contributor

Very interesting. However I do not get all that ROG branding. A router is a generic hardware that EVERYONE can benefit from and a product with MU-MIMO (or Xstream for that matter) is more targeted at large household with many devices than a specific gamers need. I know many people with Asus router and none of these find other ROG products appealling.

Aiming these products at gamers with the overkill (and less than subtle) ROG styling may very well make old Asus customers believe product is not for them.

9. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

ROG brand means nothing by itself, the design is something I could live with (easily).

The other gaming specific features do not need to be enabled either, and, I would suggest they shouldn't be either for best (routing) performance.

10. nagle3092

nagle3092 Senior Member

Interesting, hopefully that means its release is sooner rather than later. Are you able to vaguely comment on how hot this one runs vs the 87?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  11. RTN

RTN Regular Contributor

12. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Not accurately, since my top is half removed, for easier access to its serial port. In general, I'd say the measured temperature seems pretty similar, despite a 400 MHz clock increase on the CPU, and higher performance on both radios. Can't comment on how the top feels however, due to that.

nagle3092 likes this.
  13. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

This isn't officially an ROG device, AFAIK. The only ROG-like design hints are the discrete red highlights on the antennas, and the patterns in the air vents. And the packaging box is very similar to their other recent routers.

nagle3092 and L&LD like this.
  14. pege63

pege63 Very Senior Member

YES smells like a VW case :rolleyes:

mattiL likes this.
  15. pege63

pege63 Very Senior Member

MayLyn how many REV has there been on the 87 3-4 and wath was NEW on every new REV, and still same proplem on it was it the 5GHz chipset?
    And is it the end of the 87 era NOW when the 88 comming out?
    And where will this 88U but itself in this chart?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  16. nagle3092

nagle3092 Senior Member

Thanks, it looks like this one has a little better ventilation vs the 87 with its ports on the bottom front, and bigger slits in the top of the back. I've never had any issues related to heat with the 87 but I was just curious.

17. DaveMishSr

DaveMishSr Very Senior Member

Eric,

Do you feel the performance difference between the AC87U & the AC88U is enough to make upgrading worthwhile? I have finally got my AC87R up and running with a stable configuration and do not wish to go through that experience again.

Thanks for any insight that you see fit to provide!

18. DaveMishSr

DaveMishSr Very Senior Member

Yes, my concern is that Asus is throwing in the towel on the Wave 2 technology & is now placing their bets on the X-stream platform.

19. bigmag

bigmag Regular Contributor

nagle3092 likes this.
  20. IAAI

IAAI Senior Member

MIMO firmware feature will be available by the end of 2015.

I have a felling they will delay it to the end of 2016 and they will tell us to upgrade to rt89u if we want the ultra fast lane MU-MIMO Feature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pege63 likes this.