What's new

Media Server Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shftup

New Around Here
hey guys, i have read lots and have a few quick questions:

I would like to build an efficient server that can handle up to 8 HDD to serve hi def 1080 mkvs to 3 client pcs (each client will be an HTPC). at most the server will distribute mkvs to 2 clients at any given time. House all wired with Cat5e.

I was thinking of this mobo - Gigabyte - GA-EP45-UD3P
4 gigs ram
2 - 1Tb HDD to start off with, then add in the near future

CPU - E5300 or similar
CPU cooler - ???
Memory - 4GB
Case - Budget is 100-140ish (I really would like a case that is very quiet, has excellent air filters to minimize dust over time, and PSU placement at the bottom of the case)
PSU - ??? Something highly efficient (24 x 7 setup) and that can handle at least 8-10 HDD in time - Seasonic or ??
Router with 8 Gibit ports?

I was thinking about a dual core ATOM setup - but i dont think that will be enough -any thoughts - also, if i were to go with a atom setup - then how much to add a sata card with 6 more ports? without spending too much on the card?

thanks all.

Dual-core atom boards may not be as energy-efficient as they could have been because of the chipset they commonly come with. Since you want 8 HDDs, you don't need a mini-ITX form-factor board, which will come with a price premium. Most likely you will get an ATX or mATX board.

Here's my post about a file server I recently built in another thread. Its energy consumption is great and should be more capable than the Atom CPU too.

I'm not sure about case choices for 8 HDDs though. There should be plenty out there if you are not aesthetically demanding.

Update: I could not stand the "high" 48-50W idle power consumption of this NAS box once I put two 750GB drives in. So I passed the KPC to the in-laws as a perfectly capable PC for their everyday use. Then, inspired by this silentpcreview article, I built the following box as my new NAS:

$55 CPU: AMD 64 X2 2.6GHz 5050e 45W
$46 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2, AMD 740G, 6 SATA 3Gb/s ports
$80 Case: Antec NSK1380 mATX
PSU: Antec AR-350 80+ certified 350W (comes with the case)
RAM: 2x1 GB Corsair DD2-800 SDRAM (already had some spare)
HDDs: 2 x WD Green Power 750GB (old drives from the KPC)

I'm seriously impressed that this box draws 30W at full idle; that's a 40% reduction from the KPC while packing more firepower should I need it.

Depending on how long it would take you to put together all 8 HDs, you could add a cheap ($20-$25) 4 -SATA card and hope to swap for a better/cheaper motherboard or card later.
For a quiet and sturdy case I highly recommend Antec Solo - very happy with mine.
You did not specify the server OS - beware of 3G limits on 32-bit Windows.
Atom board should draw under 50 watts, so you would not need more than 200 watts even if all the HD are spinning simultaneously. Check Anand for a recent review of low-powered PSUs. Just remember that the higher powered PSU might be quieter depending on the fan speed levels.
Please keep in mind that you are unlikely to design a totally perfect optimal configuration. Be prepared for some surprises and enjoy the process.