What's new

Merlin 384.7_beta2 (3?) @ AC68U HDD spindown(sleep) does not work.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hale_JP

Occasional Visitor
When I tried Merlin 384.7_beta2, I was offered a new option of spinning down an attached USB HDD by timeout, as it is regularly done by any user OS.

But for some reason my HDD always spins, regardless of timeout.

HDD: Adata Superior SH02 (SAMSUNG HM502JX) with native USB2 interface.
USB port: blue USB3 port in USB3 mode.
Add-ons: SAMBA, download center. Nothing is downloading, queue is empty. SAMBA is also empty, but in master-browser mode for improving WIN network responsiveness.

Now I upgraded to Merlin 384.7_beta3, but the spin-down timeout still does not work.

isn't beta3 the newest one?

there were nothing in changelist of betas regarding the HDD sleep function, so I installed beta.

Ah, I see what you mean. Final is uploaded 15 hours ago. But the update check in beta2 was showing beta3 as newest.
Probably, that is another bug of update-check feature.

It's up to the HDD to decide if it wants to accept the spindown command or not - not all USB HDDs/enclosures do.

It's up to the HDD to decide if it wants to accept the spindown command or not - not all USB HDDs/enclosures do.

But it do spin-down when attached to Windows laptop. And power-management is in specifications (not APM/slow-down, but PM is there).
So, it should be an OS/software(firmware) problem.

BTW, HM502JX has a JMICRON sata-USB bridge soldered onboard. And it is kind-of pass-through capable, because Windows management tools can read full SMART, set PM level, and scan surface.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!