What's new

Merlin 384_19 Problem with Block Routed Clients if Tunnel goes down

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pusb87

Regular Contributor
Since updating to Merlin 384_19 on my RT86U I have issues with the Block Routed Clients if Tunnel goes down option.

1601811972915.png

It seems that if this box is enabled in any OpenVPN client, whether the client is active or not , that all access to the internet is disabled.

I have found that i need to set all clients to NO and reboot the router to regain internet access.

The VPN client will work if the option is set to NO, but ideally I would like to have the Policy Rules working correctly so that if the VPN clients tunnel does go down then internet access is then stopped.

Has anyone else experienced this or have a resolution.

thanks in advance

This is working as intended. It can't discern if the tunnel is down or if the tunnel is just stopped.

Since updating to Merlin 384_19 on my RT86U I have issues with the Block Routed Clients if Tunnel goes down option.

View attachment 26674
It seems that if this box is enabled in any OpenVPN client, whether the client is active or not , that all access to the internet is disabled.

I have found that i need to set all clients to NO and reboot the router to regain internet access.

The VPN client will work if the option is set to NO, but ideally I would like to have the Policy Rules working correctly so that if the VPN clients tunnel does go down then internet access is then stopped.

Has anyone else experienced this or have a resolution.

thanks in advance
Use "Routed Clients if Tunnel goes down" on only last vpnclient.

This is working as intended. It can't discern if the tunnel is down or if the tunnel is just stopped.
Is this is a change then from 384_17 ? . If im correct it never worked like that on that firmware , or many previous ones, only started to happen when i moved to 384_19.

So how would I enable that option and be able to have internet access ?

You could set a rule to apply the VPN killswitch only to your intended clients- unless that is your whole LAN. For instance, I've applied a rule that only one client gets blocked if the VPN goes down...

You could set a rule to apply the VPN killswitch only to your intended clients- unless that is your whole LAN. For instance, I've applied a rule that only one client gets blocked if the VPN goes down...
Oh good but I dont know how to do that ...can you show me how, perhaps with a screenshot or two ??

on your VPN Tab, go to VPN Client tab and at the bottom, set the following. Then, add whatever client, for example and then set the routing policy, then apply.
Screenshot from 2020-12-16 09-59-56.png