What's new

Merlin 388.1 AX86U, Wi-Fi connection is to phone dropping frequently, have to turn off and on Wifi on phone to 'fix'. Happens again minutes after.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

domic

Regular Contributor
When I try to ping the router in Termux I get 'Destination unreachable' during connection loss until I restart the wifi.
This issue did not start until a couple months ago. I do not remember if it was present before it upgraded to 388.1 firmware.

I am willing to provide logs from the router if needed in solving the problem.

I don't think the router or phone overheats since it has been able to push data fine before.

When I try to ping the router in Termux I get 'Destination unreachable' during connection loss until I restart the wifi.
This issue did not start until a couple months ago. I do not remember if it was present before it upgraded to 388.1 firmware.

I am willing to provide logs from the router if needed in solving the problem.

I don't think the router or phone overheats since it has been able to push data fine before.
It’s a known issue. If you read through the 388 threads, RMerlin has provided an ASUS test firmware that hopefully fixes this. Alternatively, roll back or wait for 388.2.

HB

My issues with my AX86U and 388.1 were driving me crazy, so I scouted the forums to look for some recommendations. This is what I did and worked for me:
  1. Unmount USB
  2. Erase JFFS
  3. Hard reset
  4. Reconfigure everything from scratch
    1. WPA2 only
    2. Separate 2.4 and 5GHz SSID
    3. No Smartconnect
    4. Fixed channel for both frequencies (do a scan to select the ones that have low interference form neighboring routers)
I've slowly incorporated other functions (openvpn server, changed DNS provider) add-ons and everything still works fine.

Hope that helps.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!