Merlin firmware for the new RT-AX86U?

TheLyppardMan

Are there any plans to create a Merlin version of the ASUS firmware for the new RT-AX86U? I only ask because I have one on order and it's due to be with me within about 4-6 weeks.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
I cannot speculate about future model support.

Kal-EL

Very Senior Member
Give it some time. I asked the same question about the AX58U and was given the same answer by Merlin and now it's fully Merlin supported. :)

kernol

Yep ;) ... it beats an answer that says "no ways" [like the "GT-ROG" models which are not and may never be Merlinized] - BUT ... caution ... no guarantee the RT-AX86U will get included in Merlinware [there are a LOT of "AX" models which don't get to the finish line].

faux123

Occasional Visitor
the new AX86U looks like a beast... 1.8 GHz 64bit quad core, 1 GB of RAM, newish 4.1.x kernel, similar open source structure as other HND based routers (AX88U/AC86U)...

Might be an upgrade path for me a few years from now... None of my home devices can take advantage of AX.. And I'm waiting for WiFi 6E since that may have more impact (much higher bandwidth and less interference at home) than just plan WiFi 6 looking at the benchmark so far on the plain AX models.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!