What's new

Merlin - New Install - Best Practice/Options for additional add-ons

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vw-kombi

Regular Contributor
Hi All,

I have been searching the forum, collecting links and information on stuff. I was hoping there would be a post for 'best practice config for the router' or something similar for newbie stuff.

What have I done so far :

I have installed entware , skynet (default setup, plus korea country block based on forum's), pixelserv, amtm and AB-Solution (level 4 ad blocking). I have the router configured how I want it re dhcp, reservations, ddns and smart DNS for my roku players, and based on the forums, I have disabled wan access etc and no longer using the asus router app. I have a new 32gb usb3, with ext2 format and a 512mg swap file. I have even managed to use the asus suplied and updated letsencrypt certs for my media solution (Emby) and now I only port forward the ssl port to my emby server.

The entware repository stuff seems massive, and I assume people who know what they want install any of that. I have no need of torrent stuff (transmission was an entware example), but I have no idea of what else is there and if it may be useful for me.

I guess I am after some best practice stuff that people install in addition to the above add-ons for whatever reason so I can make an informed choice. I am 34 pages in on the forum with 100's to go, collecting info that may be of use (like the email script when wan stops/starts for example). I am not yet into last year's posts so still a load of research to get through.

Cheers in advance.