What's new

Merlin on GS-AX3000?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dwp

Regular Contributor
I just got a new GS-AX3000 and I find that it does not have a tcpdump binary installed in the stock firmware. I really need that ability and I see that there is a package for it in Merlin. But it appears that Merlin does not support this router. I see that it does support the RT-AX58U/RT-AX3000 and read here that the hardware of my new router is the same. I don't know if I am taking this too literally or if this is correct info. But if so, can I run Merlin for the RT-AX58U on this box? Thanks!

And the answer to the inevitable question of why isn't it on the list can be found in this post:

I just got a new GS-AX3000 and I find that it does not have a tcpdump binary installed in the stock firmware. I really need that ability and I see that there is a package for it in Merlin.
No there isn't a package in Merlin for tcpdump. There is a tcpdump package in Entware, and Entware can be installed on Merlin-supported routers.

You might be able to install Entware on stock firmware but I don't know for sure.

Thanks for your replies. I figured this would be the case.

And thanks for the pointer to Entware and I will look into seeing if I can get it only new router. Cheers

Just managed, with some tweaking of the linked instructions above, to install Entware's tcpdump on the stock Asus firmware. Thanks so much!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!