What's new

Merlin on my T-Mobile (now RT-AC68P)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessenj

New Around Here
So I converted my 2 routers (T-Mobile Asus) to RT-AC68P and have been very happily running AiMesh on them with one as my master and one as my node, the master on the first floor of my house and the node on the second floor. Both routers are running with 3.0.0.4.384_20308 official firmware, but I'd like to use some of the Merlin addons. Do any of the Merlin builds have AiMesh and if so, which version is my best bet? If not, and Merlin is not supporting AiMesh, is there anything wrong with flashing my firmware on both routers with the latest official Asus firmware?

Thanks,

Jesse

My firmware supports neither AiMesh, nor the TM-AC1900 (converted or otherwise).

My firmware supports neither AiMesh, nor the TM-AC1900 (converted or otherwise).
Thanks for the quick response. I was really hoping to use your build but I need the AiMesh features. Would you know if a regular firmware from Asus will work on my router now that its been modded? I have read some posts from ages ago saying that there was a chance that new firmware would revert all info back to the T-Mobile device and then lock out loading the AC98 fw.

Thanks for the quick response. I was really hoping to use your build but I need the AiMesh features. Would you know if a regular firmware from Asus will work on my router now that its been modded? I have read some posts from ages ago saying that there was a chance that new firmware would revert all info back to the T-Mobile device and then lock out loading the AC98 fw.
Sorry this topic is not allowed on this forum.

Not quite true. The only thing that can't be discussed is "methods to get around ASUS' lockdown of TM-AC1900 firmware".

So it's reasonable IMHO to discuss which firmwares do and don't work, but not how to get around the restrictions.
IMHO why would anyone research firmware's compatibility with a device that is not supported? But aside from that you are in the end circumventing the intended use of this firmware.

I think this pretty much says it all.

IMHO why would anyone research firmware's compatibility with a device that is not supported? But aside from that you are in the end circumventing the intended use of this firmware.
I think there's a difference between asking "How can I put Asus/Merlin firmware on my TM-AC1900?" and "I've already converted my TM-AC1900, will attempting to update the firmware cause it to revert?". The second question is valid in my opinion as there are many people in that situation and it doesn't ask how to defeat the lockdown.

(I don't know the answer to the second question as I don't have a TM-AC1900)

The second answer is "Yes".

Your firmware will most likely revert if upgrading it to stock Asus firmware 3.0.0.4.384_20648 or higher.
It is unknown if latest RMerlin firmware will perform a downgrade (or even work properly if does install) on a converted TM-AC1900 as this is a non-tested configuration. <--- Guinne pigs and feedback are more than welcome in this area.

Discussion of how to actually circumvent the "downgrade detection" is not allowed.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Asus is in the processs locking out the firmware loader, making downgrades impossible (similar to iOS).
There have been reports of users on RMerlin v385 locked out from being able to return to v384 or prior.
The new minimum seems to be v385+ && whatever Asus's firmware equivalent for v385.

Updates for you are risky, period.

Last edited:
I have a converted model and I've been running Merlin builds for the past 6 months or so and never had any issues upgrading to his latest builds until this one.

What changed?

I have a converted model and I've been running Merlin builds for the past 6 months or so and never had any issues upgrading to his latest builds until this one.

What changed?

Asus’s stance on the issue.

Instead of ignoring it, the are actively locking it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.